Thomas & Hutton is a privately held professional services company founded in 1946. To provide quality service and project support to our public and private clients, our technical competencies include Civil, Environmental, Structural and Marine Engineering; Land Surveying; Land Planning; Landscape Architecture; Geographic Information Systems and Construction Administration.
Thomas & Hutton is seeking an experienced Land Surveyor to work in our Mt. Pleasant, SC office.
Survey Crew Members work on crews of two to three people and assist in performing a variety of land surveying activities. Much of the work is physical in nature and includes tasks such as carrying supplies, holding equipment, driving stakes and clearing line. Crew Members must be able to perform these tasks in a wide range of temperatures and work environments. Valid driver’s license required.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of performing basic Land surveys: leveling, traversing, triangulation, metes and bounds surveys, construction surveys, photo control surveys, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the care, cleaning, and use of a variety of Land surveying tools and equipment, including field radios. Knowledge of the operation, checking, and basic field adjustments on transits, theodolites, total stations, data collectors, levels, tribrachs, and tripods.
- Demonstrates knowledge of trigonometry, geometry, algebra, coordinate geometry, and basic Land Surveying computations. Must have a familiarity with hand-held calculators and be able to enter field data and produce positional information (i.e. leveling, traversing, stadia, topographic data and construction stakeout).
- Reduces and checks field notes for determination of positions and elevations.
- Interprets Horizontal and Vertical control points, records, and data sheets, as well as locate points in the field.
- Under the supervision of a Land Survey crew chief, coordinates Land Survey fieldwork for a variety of standard types of Land surveys.
- Understands basic sources of measurement errors.
- Understands principles of staking and stake markings.
- Takes neat and orderly field notes for standard Land surveying operations: leveling, traversing, topographic mapping, layout, as-built surveys, boundary surveys, profiles and cross-section surveys.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and understanding of the basic plan reading (i.e. site plans, boundary plans, highway plans, profile and cross sections, horizontal and vertical curves, pipeline plans as well as foundation plans.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of the terminology and principles of drafting as it applies to Land Surveying.
- Demonstrates knowledge of treatment practices for a variety of medical emergencies Understands traffic control and safety procedures for a variety of Land Surveying operations.
- Understands and adheres to Land Surveying ethics and technical standards.
- Other duties as necessary and/or required by supervisor.
Experience: Previous land surveying experience strongly preferred.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
- This position will require driving. A valid driver’s license is required.
- Strong math skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to perform strenuous physical activity in a wide range of temperatures and work environments.
Please note, sponsorship is not available for this position. Thomas & Hutton is a Drug-Free Workplace & E-Verify Participant
Thomas & Hutton’s Mission Statement, “Relationships and Solutions for Success” describes not only our unwavering commitment to clients, but also our commitment to the success, both professionally and personally, of our employees. Thomas & Hutton was named to the 2014 Best Places to Work in South Carolina program. What makes Thomas & Hutton a great place to work? Opportunities for professional development, strong benefits and compensation packages, a commitment to make our communities better for future generations, a family-oriented culture, and our reputation as a firm with extremely knowledgeable professionals who serve as trusted advisors to our clients.
Some of our many benefits include:
Health, Wellness, and Work/Life Benefits
- Superior Health, Dental, and Rx Insurance Programs
- Vision coverage
- Company paid short term and long term disability Insurance
- On-Site health clinics operated by a Health Practitioner
- Condensed work schedule
Financial & Retirement Benefits
- Generous base compensation and bonus plan
- 401(K) plan - employee matching of $.50 for each dollar contributed up to 6%
- 401(K) Roth and profit sharing component
Paid time off, Holidays and other leave
- Generous annual leave policy for personal, vacation, sick and bereavement purposes. Eligibility begins upon hire
- 8 company paid holidays annually
Professional Development Benefits
- Thomas & Hutton University - On-site provider of professional development hours and continuing education credits
- College tuition reimbursement programs (Graduate & Undergraduate)
- In-house Up and Ready Civil 3D Software Training Program