Join a company that offers quality products for you to work with, along with a steady workflow and solid company stability. No two days are ever the same with the industry’s evolving technology. With their high rate of retention, they want you for the long term!
Founded in 1985, Chesapeake Controls is a family owned, full service Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) provider to the commercial market Hampton Roads and surrounding areas. As the largest independent provider of Honeywell Building Automation Systems in Virginia, they have full in-house capabilities to provide mechanical, controls, DDC, security, energy services and solutions for any building, no matter the size or the market.
Chesapeake Controls is looking to hire an experienced Construction Manager in the Chesapeake, VA area to manage $10m plus in construction business. In this exciting leadership position, working directly with the Vice President, you will coordinate, manage and grow a construction business that an extensive group including field installers, mechanics, commissioning, programming, design, and project management team members. You will be a strategic member of the leadership team, focusing on growth objectives in the construction department. In this role, you will have the chance to work with prestigious customers all over the Mid-Atlantic region.
Roles & responsibilities
- Provide Leadership & Management for a growing $10-$15 million Construction Business, with focus on HVAC & Mechanical Systems, Direct Digital Controls, Fire & Security and complete Systems Integration.
- Achieve Net Profit goals with accountability to increase margin ROI, accelerate business and market growth, and to protect key assets and resources. Maintain full P&L financial and general accounting integrity.
- collaborate with customers, community organizations, and employees; driving ethical business practices.
- grow our high performance delivery team; improve cultural maturity, provide sustainable continuous improvement & best practices, Team satisfaction and quality of life
- steadily improve both customer & team “Net Promoter Score”.
- Increase performance effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and guiding managers; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
- Accomplish supplementary objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and results measurements; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections
- Coordinate efforts by establishing procurement, production, marketing, field, and technical services policies and practices; coordinating actions with staff and supervision
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team by accomplishing all related results.
Skill sets & attributes
- Ability to see the “big picture”.
- Outstanding time management.
- Highly organized & attention to detail.
- Performance management.
- Process improvement.
- Decision making.
- Strategic planning.
- Quality assurance.
- Risk mitigation (or “containment”).
- Monitor, forecast and report on progress against objectives.
- Conflict and crisis management.
Certifications, qualifications & equivalent experience:
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a Project Manager capacity on projects from $1 to $2 million, and 2 years’ experience in a Construction Manager position leading 2 or more project managers.
- HVAC and Building Automation Controls knowledge is a plus but not required.
- College/University education or an associate's degree in a related field is a plus, or may be combined with lessor experience.
- The Construction Management Association of America, Certified Construction Manager (CCM) designation; or The American Institute of Constructors, the Associate Constructor (AC) or Certified Professional Constructor (CPC), are a plus.
- Highly proficient computer skills with MS Office (Outlook/Excel/Project/Word/Visio).
- Vista (Viewpoint) construction accounting software experience is an asset.
- Candidate shall demonstrate:
- Ethical Behavior: Understand ethical behavior and business practice and insure his/her own behavior of that of others is consistent and aligns with that of our organization.
- Effective Communication: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective tools and techniques. Quickly and effectively, resolve conflict.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations and create new opportunities.
- Teambuilding through leadership: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness. Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the company. Assess situations to determine importance, urgency and risks, making clear decisions that are both timely and in the best interest of the Team. Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals and track details/ data/information and activities. Determine strategies to move the Team forward, set goals, create and implement action plans and evaluate the progress and results.
- Safety: compliance, certifications, programs processes, ratings.
- knowledge of all industry standards, building codes and practices, construction law, guidelines and procedures. Construction terminology, documentation, contract documents, drawings, specifications and scopes of work.
- Understand all contractual obligations: enforce, manage and/or direct contractual responsibilities, contract documents, subcontracts and dispute resolution.
Some of the benefits of this exceptional opportunity are:
- Excellent compensation starting with a base salary $85k per year (higher depending on experience), with up to 35% additional incentives, as commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Potential signing bonus
- Great benefits package including;
- 100% paid employee only medical premiums
- 100% paid life insurance policy of $20K
- Available dental and vision plan
- 401k and Profit Sharing Plan
- Company vehicle with gas card
- Company cell phone
- Ten (10) paid holidays annually
- Two (2) weeks paid vacation annually
- three (3) weeks after 8 years of service and four (4) weeks after 15 years of service
- Three (3) paid personal days annually
- Available Virginia 529 College Savings Plan
- Company stability – high rate of retention and continual, steady company growth
Our industry is constantly moving forward and evolving because customer focus and technology drive everything we do… be a part of this exciting and ever changing industry with a company that wants to see you grow and succeed. If you love making customers happy, and are eager to expand your knowledge, this is the career for you