Overview of the ES&C Project Developer:
Works directly with Energy Services and Contracting Sales to identify, develop and implement contracting projects including design-build retrofits, energy efficiency upgrades, controls, and district cooling projects.
- Leads technical aspects of sales process and develops creative solutions to customer issues and facility needs
- Compensation includes base salary plus bonus incentives for meeting performance objectives and TBT sales volume goals for contracting, energy services and owner-direct controls projects.
Description of ES&C Project Developer Role
The Project Developer acts as the primary technical resource for the Energy Services and Contracting sales team. Knowledge and proficiency of design and construction methods for HVAC, Building Automation Systems, lighting, and other energy and water consuming systems is critical to the development and sales of energy services and contracting projects. This position will lead the project development by following a standard process for complex solutions, energy efficiency retrofits, and owner-direct controls projects.
Under direction of the Sales Manager, the project developer typically works directly with an Energy Services salesperson in a team environment or acts as a technical resource to other sales team members. The Project Developer will have significant interaction with the customer’s organization, including technical and financial decision makers. The position is not “sales support”, rather a key member of the sales team that effectively monitors sales process, develops technical solutions, influences sales strategies, mitigates risk, ensures customer satisfaction, and supports profitable sales growth for energy services and contracting projects.
Expectations, skills and capabilities of ES&C Project Developer:
- Assists sales team to identify customer pain and facility needs
- Performs building walk-throughs and identifies project opportunities
- Collects building and energy data and evaluates building performance
- Understands building systems including HVAC, lighting, controls, chiller plants, electrical, and plumbing
- Demonstrates a high level of proficiency with computer simulation tools, energy consumption profiles in buildings, utility rates and rebate programs, utility supply options, engineering economics and cost-savings calculations
- Maintains professional certifications and licenses including P.E., C.E.M., and LEED AP
- Works directly with vendor and subcontractor partners and coordinates internal team including Account Executives, Project Managers, and Intelligent Services
- Develops project scope, budget and cost savings
- Assists with preparation of contract documents
- Understands financing options
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Assists at customer meetings and presentations
- Acts with a bias towards customer satisfaction and growth, balanced with appropriate risk analysis
Leadership Expectations for ES&C Project Developer:
- Over a 3-year term, develops into the overall technical leader for Tampa Bay Trane energy services
- Continuous development of technical skills including design, construction and operation of HVAC, Building Automation Systems, lighting, district energy systems, and Intelligent Services.
- Acts as primary resource for evaluation and analysis of emerging technologies, new energy services offerings, energy legislation, and key energy trends that affect ES&C business strategies
- Provides leadership to internal team members and manages external team partners including consulting engineers, product vendors, contractors and utility providers
- May be expected to lead and manage new hires including energy engineers, project developers, or engineering interns
- Coaches other team members in technical aspects of energy services
- Maintains and advances customer relationships by acting as technical resource and customer advocate