La Plata Electric Association
Job Title: Engineering Technician
Department: Rates, Technology and Energy Policy
This is an Engineering Technician position in the Rates, Technology, and Energy Policy department of the Association. The employee reports to the department’s Staff Engineer position. The employee coordinates, and exercises functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of technology projects, as well as technology planning tasks, within the area of assigned responsibility by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- System administration of the Association’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) network system. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining and troubleshooting the Association’s AMI WAN and LAN communications with the goal of establishing reliable communications to the maximum number of AMI endpoints.
- Plan and schedule assigned work to assure that all is complete in the allotted time to meet the schedule of the Association.
- Coordinate purchase of material with Purchasing Agent as required to complete assigned tasks.
- Coordinate work with other departments as required.
- The holder of this position is expected to perform independently and apply engineering training and judgment under overall direction and supervision of the department’s Staff Engineering position.
- Perform data analysis on various data systems to fully leverage the Association’s investment in those systems.
- Perform cost analysis and other miscellaneous engineering studies as assigned.
- Stay abreast with and administer distributed generation, alternative resource, and net metering programs.
- Develop and maintain a schedule and budget for assigned engineering projects.
- Provide reports on the status of project milestones and adjust schedules accordingly.
- Control expenditures within limitations of project budget.
- Coordinate preparation and delivery of project deliverables, design documents, and bid packages.
- Assign and oversee project personnel to specific phases or aspects of project such as technical studies, product design, preparation of specifications and technical plans, and product testing.
- Review product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Coordinate activities concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems.
- Direct integration of technical activities and products.
- Evaluate and approve design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Prepare interim and completion project reports.
- Interface with customers to provide project status reports and ensure customer needs are met.
- Assist with power quality issues.
- Assist others within the company on streamlining their processes.
- Perform minimal system design activities.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's Degree (B.S.) in Electrical Engineering, or related field, from an accredited college or university or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of NISC software; Access and/or SQL Database software; Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
A willingness to pursue professional registration in the state of Colorado is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
The position requires a valid driver's license and a good driving record, as well as being available for emergency call on a 24 hour basis. This position requires travel in the field through rough, uneven terrain in all weather conditions. Good mobility is required to complete the job duties successfully.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.