Adolfson & Peterson Construction, one of the nation’s top contractors, is recruiting for an experienced Senior Pre-Construction Manager for our Midwest region. We combine more than 70 years of construction expertise with the newest technologies in order to meet our clients' needs. We serve owners, architects, and developers with a commitment to teamwork and quality and are constantly looking for people to help us achieve our company goals.
Lead pre-construction teams while developing pre-construction strategies on large, complex, and high risk types of projects. Provide functional expertise and regional pre-construction team leadership.
Because safety is paramount to AP and embedded into everything we do, all team members are responsible for working safely within our Incident and Injury Free culture.
Key Accountabilities of the role include:
- Prepare and/or oversee preparation of conceptual cost models and budgets; perform quantitative analyses of construction documents and project program requirements.
- Proactively manage CMAR and Design Build pre-construction activities on multiple projects involving multiple estimating personnel, Owners, City and Architect/Engineers. Manage preparation by support personnel of all cost models, milestone estimates, and GMP packages to ensure compliance with contract, scope, and budget requirements.
- Execute strategies on awarded projects to ensure proper scope and budget for each assigned project.
- Review item quantities/take-offs, comparison reports, material pricing, labor production analysis, equipment pricing, general conditions, direct job expenses, and any other cost elements.
- Prepare the order of magnitude, cost models, and conceptual estimates as required.
- Ensure the files of ongoing projects such as Bid Book, Addenda, Bid Documents, and/or Pre-construction Guide are maintained on assigned projects. Prepare, review, and input data to be used in our historical cost database.
- Provide consultative guidance on constructability, schedule, phasing, and staffing.
- Identify differentiating factors concerning approach, design, and constructability.
- Review contractual requirements to determine contractual scope of work and potential conflicts; communicate potential pitfalls and risk management strategies with assigned estimating personnel.
- Act as chief strategist for value engineering studies, system analysis, constructability reviews, and schedule analysis. Develop parameters for these studies to stay within project scope and budget.
- Build and facilitate collaborative team processes among project participants.
- Supervise and develop staff by establishing expectations, providing positive and constructive feedback, determining training and development needs, and conducting on-the-job training.
- Actively participate in Market Sector(s) business development efforts in support of the strategic plan. Track project leads through capture and maintain open lines with the client throughout the project life cycle to maintain seamless communication and deliver a consistent message. Actively review and exchange information with operations for all current projects.
- Build and manage subcontractor relationships; facilitate bids and presentations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Principals at key Subcontractors, Architectural, and Engineering firms for business development purposes.
- Monitor the purchasing plan to ensure subcontracts are being produced in accordance with the project schedule.
- Participate in the development of proposals to ensure all materials are client ready.
- Act strategically to help drive innovation and new business.
- Support company efforts to obtain new work by remaining alert to business opportunities and sharing information with appropriate company personnel. Report business development activities and progress to management on a systematic basis.
- Participate in activities to support the company’s strategic planning efforts and/or improve specific business or construction processes.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- History of progressively more responsible leadership experience and proven results including:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or related field and 8 - 10 years of estimating, cost analysis and control, and/or engineering experience in large (over $60M) industrial construction projects.
- MBA, LEED, DBIA, or other advanced degrees are considered advantageous. PE license strongly preferred by not required.
- 8 - 10 years of experience in complex construction or design-build. Desired project experience includes federal and large-scale general building, healthcare, hospitality, data centers, transportation, water & wastewater, multi-family, detention centers, utilities, and manufacturing.
- Three of more years of at-risk construction experience.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Prolog, and MC2 and/or Timberline software and technology.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards.
- Experience in complex business as an active participant in driving growth and change; demonstrated effectiveness in driving operations and executing plans.
- Ability to identify talent, create and develop teams, and build trust and engagement.
- Capability to identify and capitalize on opportunities quickly; ability to maintain effective balance between strategic and tactical priorities.
- Experience in driving accountability for financial and operational effectiveness, integrating and aligning efforts within teams, monitoring results and tackling problems directly.
- Experience cultivating an active network of relationships, driving collaboration and alignment, relating well to key colleagues and connecting with employees at all levels.
- Ability to drive to the core of complex issues and provide insightful and constructive feedback.
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus
Adolfson & Peterson Construction is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer