McConnell & Associates is a rapidly growing, family-owned, construction company that specializes in pavement maintenance and sports and rec construction. What sets MAC apart from others is our collective commitment to excellence in every project we do.
McConnell & Associates' Safety Manager will enjoy a competitive wage, the use of a company smart phone, the use of a company truck with gas card, and performance bonuses. The successful candidate for this role will have an uncompromising emphasis on safety excellence.
- Report to the Director of Human Resources and Risk Management.
- In-between formal field and facility audits at all locations spend time with field, plant, warehouse, and shop employees helping them develop safe habits and procedures as well as identifying areas where each can increase efficiencies.
- Develop and implement safety training program at all McConnell and Associates locations.
- Create and implement safety training based on McConnell and Associates risk factors, loss history, near misses, and government regulations.
- Visit the St. Louis/Pevely location(s) at least once a month. Some months will require additional visits.
- Perform formal field audits at least five times per year for each McConnell and Associates construction crew.
- Perform formal facility audits at the Kansas City, St. Louis, and Pevely facilities three times per year (once in early October, once in mid-January, and once in late March).
- Visit the Wichita location twice a year roughly six months apart. During those visits perform safety training and formal facility audits.
- Investigate all accidents and claims. Whenever possible report immediately to the accident site for the investigation.
- During and after accident investigations manage the claims process.
- Present learning opportunities from accident investigations.
- Manage the company SDS program.
- Review the company safety manual – making recommendations for changes and implementing changes as necessary.
- Coordinate the company drug and alcohol testing program.
- Develop relationships with occupational medicine providers for all McConnell locations.
- Develop relationships with other medical providers (eye doctors, after hour’s clinics, orthopedic surgeons, physical therapist, and other specialist) for all McConnell locations.
- Complete all OSHA documentation and correspondence.
- Present New Hire Safety Orientations as needed.
- Participate in our captive insurance groups quarterly large loss conference calls.
- Use the information gained from the quarterly large loss conference calls to train McConnell employees on similar dangers and/or implement new safety programs to prevent McConnell from having similar losses.
- Participate in two Risk Control Workshops each year with our liability captive.
- Manage our DOT driver qualification files at all locations.
- Investigate streamlining McConnell and Associates DOT program. Recommend and implement changes as necessary.
- Obtain and maintain industry certifications that allow you to teach First Aid, CPR, Flagger, Respirator Fit Test, OSHA 10 and 30 Construction, OSHA 10 and 30 General Industry, and any other safety class that is deemed necessary.
- Research, shop, select, purchase, and manage PPE supplies.
- Perform road test for drivers as needed and as DOT regulations require.
- Manage fire extinguisher program.
- Work with Sub-Contractors on safety requirements.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong work ethic with a desire to succeed.
- Undergraduate degree in safety management and/or equivalent work experience.
- Must have basic knowledge of personal computer systems and programs necessary to use word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint, and data management applications. Intermediate level skills for Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Access preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret federal, state, and local regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present/teach on various safety topics.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and most importantly the ability to affect change.
- Must have a valid driver license.
- Relatively clean motor vehicle report. (Applicants w/ a drug or alcohol driving offense in the last five years will not be considered. Other violations will be evaluated using our insurance company standards.)
- Travel 1-2 times (each time requiring one to two nights away from home) to our St. Louis facility per month.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive wage.
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability Insurance.
- 401K and profit sharing plan.
- Paid vacation and paid holidays.
- Company vehicle.
- Performance bonuses.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary history/expectations in Microsoft Word format to D.Morgan@McConnellAssociates.org Resumes without salary history and expectations will not be considered. NO PHONE CALLS ACCEPTED.
Thank you for your interest in McConnell and Associates Career Opportunities. Please take a moment to check out the rest of our web site to find out more about who we are and what we do. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
McConnell and Associates is proud to be a Drug Free Equal Opportunity Employer.