AM General LLC, headquartered in South Bend, Ind., with major facilities in nearby Mishawaka, Ind., Auburn Hills, Mich., Franklin, Ohio, and offices in Arlington, Va., designs, engineers, manufactures, supplies and supports specialized vehicles for military and commercial customers worldwide.
Through its Military business, the company is recognized as a world leader in the design, engineering, manufacturing and support of Light Tactical Vehicles, having produced and sustained more than 300,000 vehicles in over 60 countries.
AM General’s growing Commercial business includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: diesel engine manufacturer Powertrain Assembly Plant and automatic transmission manufacturer General Transmission Products. AM General has more than six decades of experience meeting the changing needs of the defense and automotive industries, supported by its employees in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, and a strong supplier base that stretches across 43 states.
Ensure tooling procurement initiatives are analyzed, negotiated, and in compliance of FAR / DFAR regulations as well as AMG process & procedures. This includes supporting cross-functional organizations and involving / managing suppliers to achieve multiple program goals & objectives.
- Tooling Engineer will review tooling cost and repair issues.
- Works with suppliers to support SCM, SQE’s, Engineering and Manufacturing to prevent plant shutdowns related to tooling and assembly issues.
- Administers tool moves between suppliers.
- Evaluates tooling and related cost impact for engineering changes.
- Creates tooling AR’s and PO’s and tracks timelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- 4 Year Degree preferred
- General technical knowledge in die-tool adaption
- Experience in working successfully in IPT cross-functional groups
- Presentation of detailed tooling analysis required
- High level of internal and external communication
- Experience in automotive or defense industries
- Ability to read prints / understand basics of component manufacturing
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite of Experience or exposure to Supply Chain Management
- Must have tooling experience, self-motivated, takes initiative
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze a problem and recommend solutions
- Effective customer service
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Travel 50%
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routine uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and copy, fax and scanning machines.