Leopardo is one of the nation’s largest and most respected construction firms, building world-class facilities with innovative, environmentally-friendly processes. We are considered “best in class” by our clients and peers, and the media consistently ranks us among the top builders in the United States. For more than three decades, Leopardo has been recognized for consistently performing at the very top of the industry. Our reputation for outstanding customer service stems from our mission to passionately pursue construction excellence. Our long-standing commitment to continuous improvement comes with a healthy obsession with quality. This approach transforms our operations and customer service, helping us become the construction provider of choice in all our specialized markets: healthcare, interiors, retail, cinema, hospitality, office, industrial, residential and municipal.
Summary: The Preconstruction Manager is a key role within the Operations team performing work on medium to larger size projects typically between RFP and project construction start. This position reports to the project principal and is focused on analyzing construction documents, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare schedules and estimates. This position interfaces with the Director of Estimating as a liaison to the creation of project estimates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in interviews and interview preparation.
- Assist the project principal in developing the strategy, vision and establishment of project profitability for each project.
- Plan and lead the pre-construction under the direction of project principal. Conduct precon kickoff meeting with owner and internal kickoff meeting with estimating team to review precon strategy and vision.
- Organize and lead the transition meeting between the project operations team and the pre-construction team and coordinate follow-up meetings
- Be accountable for complete estimates sat various stages which reflect all that is required to build the project. After preparation by estimating team, review trade prices, add-ons, estimate qualifications, scope inclusions, and exclusions for accuracy and completeness. Participate in formulation of subcontractor bidding list for the project to maximize competitiveness and coverage.
- Create the General Conditions estimate for review by Project Principal prior to submission to Owner.
- Take an active role in maximizing the participation of Self Performed trades in each project.
- Solicit and Analyze bids, and recommend for award any early award or long lead trades on assigned projects.
- Provide estimating support when necessary for trades or scope areas as directed. This may entail providing anywhere from 10-50% of trade estimating depending on project size and estimating team availability.
- Review value alternative solutions taking into consideration cost, schedule, maintenance, and life cycle cost implications
- Monitor staff time budget during the pre-construction phase of the project
- Accountable to monitor (and create when necessary) budget variance analysis reports (Cost Control Log) allowing for clear identification of changes to the estimate both as may be requested by Clients or derived from updates and changes to design documentation.
- Prepare or oversee preparation of pre-construction schedule with buy-in from internal departments. When required create realistic and detailed schedules for all design, approval, estimating, and purchasing and construction activities. Interface with Design, Ownership, and estimating team for scheduling of key deliverables.
- Analyze permitting requirements for the project with Project VP/PX to facilitate and help coordinate submissions.
- Interface with Project design team to provide cost, schedule, and logistics feedback on suggested alternatives to be considered. Provide Management of Design Team as required.
- Assemble constructability reviews when for each project identifying best practices to construct details emphasizing high quality, cost efficiency, and lowering risk profiles.
- Attend Preconstruction OAC meetings with Design team and Ownership as primary LCI representative, along with support as required from project VP/PX and estimating team. Take and issue meeting minutes if not completed by others.
- Provide guidance and training assistance to estimating team members during preconstruction assignments on projects.
Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Adaptability and Change Leadership
Supervisory Requirements: None.
Education / Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree preferably in construction management, construction/building science, engineering, business management or architecture and design.
Current estimating software (i.e. Timberline estimating, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Bluebeam, Onscreen Take off).
Minimum of 10 years' experience in estimating, pre-construction and new construction with field, supervisory and ground up construction experience.
Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all project management control systems (scheduling, estimating, cost control, procurement and business development).
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: None.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision program
- Life Insurance
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- Long Term Care
- IRS 125 Plan
- PTO, paid holidays and Volunteerism PTO
- Profit sharing plan
- 401k plan
- 529 college savings plan
- Complimentary chair massages
- Annual service and special recognition awards
- Friday hours
- Professional training and development
- Annual employee team-building and training retreats
- Bereavement time off
- Company-paid annual employee golf outing
- Company-issued, network accessible cell phones
- Local health club and child care discounts
- Various charitable activities