Leopardo is one of the nation’s largest and most respected construction firms, building world-class facilities with innovative, environmentally-friendly processes. We are considered “best in class” by our clients and peers, and the media consistently ranks us among the top builders in the United States. For more than three decades, Leopardo has been recognized for consistently performing at the very top of the industry. Our reputation for outstanding customer service stems from our mission to passionately pursue construction excellence. Our long-standing commitment to continuous improvement comes with a healthy obsession with quality. This approach transforms our operations and customer service, helping us become the construction provider of choice in all our specialized markets: healthcare, interiors, retail, cinema, hospitality, office, industrial, residential and municipal.
Summary: As a member of the estimating team, the Estimator is responsible for accurately calculating project costs to ensure profitability by preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages during the preconstruction phase. Responsibilities also include establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys, and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value added design. This role may assist in the direction of project engineers and interns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the project team to determine and execute the best strategies for winning new projects, whether competitive or negotiated efforts.
- Understand, review and execute the bid requirements within the established deadlines for negotiated bid, competitive bid, conceptual, schematic, design development and Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) estimates.
- Conduct a thorough review and analysis of all bid documents and the project site. Schedule job site walkthroughs with key subcontractors/vendors, and clients, as required.
- Communicate with the design team and owner as necessary during the preconstruction process.
- Prepare detailed conceptual estimates during the initial, schematic and design development stages of a negotiated project including creating quantity takeoffs, applying project-specific unit pricing, production based estimating (when appropriate) value added design practices, value engineering, cost control etc. including hard bidding the final documents.
- Competitively hard bid, design bid build projects.
- Prequalify bidders and, based on scope of work, develop a list of qualified bidders to ensure the right subcontractor/vendor receives the Invitation to Bid (ITB) documents, including any addenda(s). Monitor the bidders list to ensure bid coverage; maintain strategic and ongoing communication with subcontractors/vendors. Review and qualify subcontractor/vendor bids.
- Perform constructability analyses, prepare detailed narrative proposals, and manage project documents at all stages of preconstruction. Provide cost modeling and value design input.
- Coordinate schedule and general condition requirements with the project team.
- Partner with marketing, business development and Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) on client proposal development.
- Participate in client presentations and preconstruction meetings as necessary.
- Assist project management with subcontractor awards as required.
- Review and present budget and bid package to project team, which may include the design team and owner.
- Seek out and qualify new subcontractors/vendors. Network, cold call, schedule meet-and-greet, and check references of out of town subcontractors/vendors and new relations within the current geographic area.
- Build, strengthen and foster subcontractor/vendor relationships. Maintain frequent communication with the subcontractor/vendor communities.
- Participate in and nurture broad networks of alliances with others to exchange knowledge and information in support of change initiatives.
- Participate in larger, cross-functional teams within the main Company divisions (e.g., Total Quality Management).
- Take an active role in industry associations, and actively network and promote Leopardo.
Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Adaptability and Change Leadership
Supervisory Requirements: This position has no supervisory responsibility.
Education / Experience Requirements:
Minimum 3 years of estimating experience, some field or project management experience preferred.
Must be able to handle a small- to medium-size commercial project or one division of a large-size commercial project independently.
Must have a thorough understanding of division of scope, the ability to read drawings and specifications, perform quantity take off, work scope definition, computer estimating and scheduling, and presentations.
College degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Consistent track record of bids won as well as project profitability.
Computer proficiency (Microsoft preferred); knowledge of On-Screen Takeoff or similar software, and knowledge of electronic estimating software, PlanGrid knowledge a plus.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: Valid driver’s license is a necessity.
Physical Demands: Representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Work is performed mostly in office settings. Some outdoor work may be required in the inspection of various construction sites, land use developments, or occupied facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and smell. The employee is frequently required to drive. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: Representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This job operates in a controlled indoor environment where the noise level is usually quiet. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets.
The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Also, on a project site the environment is occasionally loud.
Limitation and Disclaimer: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and / or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Employment-at-Will: This document does not create an employment contract, either express or implied. All employment is employment-at-will.