Southwest Waterworks PM LLC., a leading pump service and repair business, is a highly successful Service Company specializing in the pump industry. We are looking for Machinists, who are the backbone of our business, to continue to grow our market share. This person thinks logically and enjoys solving problems with creativity, diligence and achievement. We offer a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation.
Under general supervision, sets up and operates a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsibilities will include operating manual lathes and end mill to make parts needed in rebuilding water pumps such as threading stainless steel shafts and 660 bronze and making wear ring and bushings along with different jobs that come into the shop.
- Disassembly of turbine, centrifugal pumps and short coupled pumps.
- Calculate dimensions and tolerance using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and veneer calipers
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, machines and materials onto machines
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers or grinders
- Measure, examine and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments
- Perform preventative and predictive maintenance on shop equipment.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work
- Troubleshoot and repair shop machinery.
- Complete daily maintenance and repair reports.
- Maintain and secure work tools.
- Clean and maintain work area.
- Turn off and lock out equipment when not in use.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisory personnel
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be able to demonstrate manual threading inside and outside of the tubes in the machine shop
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance according to published guidelines.
- Skill in production of parts with extremely close tolerances.
- Ability to repair, dis-mantle, install or move machinery and mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Ability to perform inspections and make necessary adjustments to conform to job specifications.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade
- Maintains knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Demonstrates proficiency in knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control and costs
- Consistently displays ability to troubleshoot, maintain equipment, actively listen to instructions from supervisors
- Prefer 2 years of experience
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work involves almost constant exposure temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 60%) of job.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Work includes the need for finger dexterity, arm-hand steadiness, multi-limb coordination and manual dexterity
- Competitive Hourly Rate
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Steady work schedule
- Uniforms provided