The Topman is responsible for cutting and preparing pipes and fittings for installation. This person also assists pipelayer with compacting in the trench, locating utilities, and other duties as assigned by the project foreman.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Cutting pipe to length and preparing pipe and fittings for installation by the pipelayer.
- Assisting pipelayer with installation as needed.
- Securing pipes, manholes and other materials and equipment to backhoe before lowering into or removing from trench.
- Assists pipelayer in initial compaction in the trench taking care to maintain grade.
- Ensures that materials for pipelayer and other workers are ready as needed on the job site.
- Locating and hand-digging existing utility lines.
- Works closely with other crew members using hand signals to coordinate work and ensure safety.
- Maintain orderliness, cleanliness and safety at jobsite.
- Follow Supervisor’s instructions closely.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Understand and adhere to trench safety regulations.
- Understand the Personal Protection Equipment requirements.
Education and Experience:
- Pipelayer Certification
- Confined Space Certification
- Competent Person Certification a plus
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Effectively handle lifting of various objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Walk, bend, kneel, lift, stretch and sit.
- Work extended hours out of doors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Travel is required.
- Willing and available to work occasional Saturday’s