Position Department: Field - International
Classification (exempt/non-exempt): Non-Exempt
Responsible for designing, building, installing, and repairing structures, fixtures, furniture, and other items using different types of materials including wood and steel.
Description of Tasks:
- Cut, fit, and assemble lumber and plywood, and other materials to be used as concrete forms.
- Set forms for concrete construction; erect scaffolding; or do finishing work.
- Measure accurately and mark precise cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk, and marking gauge.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment.
- Verify trueness of structure, set grade, check for plumb, etc.
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, or power tools.
- Read specifications, blueprints, sketches, building plans, and form drawings to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Erect scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
- Remove damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Select and quantify lumber and other required materials.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Education/Experience: Minimum high school diploma/GED and 1 year of related construction experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Considerable knowledge of: rough and finish carpentry; tools, equipment, materials and safety practices of carpentry work; building techniques of new and remodel construction; masonry, concrete, and wood construction. Some knowledge of supervisory practices. Able to pass a required background check for military base access.
Physical Requirements: Must have the ability to crawl, climb, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, crouch, stand for longs periods of time, lift and hold in excess of 50lbs, talk, hear and occasionally sit. Must have the ability to withstand confined spaces and or/extreme heights while negotiating tasks at hand in a safe manner to themselves and/or others.
Environmental Conditions: Frequently on site and subject to hot cold, humid and wet conditions depending on location.