The primary function of the Quality Control Manager is to ensure compliance with all Quality aspects of production and placement for aggregate and asphalt. The QCM participates in the development and implementation of Duininck Standard Operating Processes, strategies and project-specific quality control plans at the research, production, inspection and assurance stages of quality control. The QCM assists all levels of Operations in establishing and achieving objectives (specifications as well as key performance indicators) while working closely with both Operations and Management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the development, administration and implementation of quality procedures and documentation of quality data utilizing Duininck Standard Operating Processes as well as project specific requirements.
- Assist in quality related management, laboratory management and operational personnel training.
- Assist with developing and improving (OC/OA) regarding a variety of quality operational procedures and output improvement initiatives.
- Train QC technicians for field and laboratory QC process control testing and requirements.
- Provide trouble-shooting guidance and advice for customers both internal and external.
- Serve as Liaison between specifications, contractors and project owner.
- Assist Contractor Manager/Estimator with pre-bid materials knowledge and mix design targets.
- Assist Aggregate Manager with knowledge of project aggregate needs.
- Assist Aggregate Manager for compliance of specification and/or desired target results during processing of materials.
- Compile and prepare reports and summaries for aggregate and asphalt products produced.
- Work with asphalt managers and paving staff to coordinate mix needs and any needed adjustments.
- Oversees and assists ongoing laboratory and field sampling and testing of aggregate and asphalt products.
- Maintain laboratory, production and research recordation of data.
- Oversee lab and lab functions and data collection and retention.
- Support all company initiatives (e.g. TPR, etc.) as needed.
- Other duties as needed or assigned.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of the construction industry and QC/QA best practices.
- Knowledge of construction operations including detailed QC/QA project specific.
- Thorough understanding of project materials and their specifications as well as application of pay factors.
- Maintain knowledge of Industry Quality Standards and Initiatives.
- Ability to represent the interests of the company effectively in negotiations.
- Ability to make good decisions in a timely manner.
- Proficiency with technology equipment and software, and able to efficiently utilize software used by the business including Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organization and detail orientation skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people including; employees, managers, government officials, suppliers, subcontractors, competitors and project owners.
- Excellent communication skills; written and verbal.
- Must be organized, self-motivated, and work well independently and as part of a group.
- Must be a strong team player, able to work effectively with a variety of people, personalities, skills and organizational levels.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a wide variety of tasks while maintaining ongoing open lines of communication regarding progress and expectations.
- Comfortable taking personal responsibility to work efficiently and continuously improve quality management processes and results.
Qualifications, Education, Skills and/or Experience
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor's degree in a related field such as materials, civil or geological engineering preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in construction quality control (experience with asphalt a plus).
- Knowledge of the technical engineering properties of material and the associated standards.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Regularly required to stand, sit and move about the facility.
- Regularly required to drive and navigate various job sites.
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Travel as required.
- Valid Driver’s license required.
- Able to work with various office technology, hardware and software.