Overall Results Expected:
The Route Supervisor is responsible for directing the activities of drivers and driver helpers in order to provide safe, effective and courteous waste collection service to customers. The Route Supervisor is the first line supervisor responsible for the productivity of the collection crews.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensure adherence to all accident prevention programs and leads operations to ensure compliance with all DOT, safety, environmental, operating, regulatory, accounting, ethics and other standards.
- Serve as a positive and professional representative of the Company to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty to the Company.
- Establish productivity goals; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and disposal expenses per established and agreed plans.
- Lead drivers to exceed productivity goals and expectations for all routes.
- Work with Routing team to create, modify and improve routes to maximize density and improve efficiency.
- Reduce route hours to the extent possible with techniques such as service conversions and container upsizing.
- Execute other operational plans to help achieve or exceed the division’s budgeted goals.
- Understand, support and execute service delivery while actively supporting maintenance and the operational role in fleet quality and maintenance.
- Provide service to all customers that meets or exceeds customer expectations with regard to the entire customer experience.
- Understand missed pickup goals and meet or exceed expectations related to those goals.
- Work closely with maintenance to ensure an appropriate number of trucks are operational to meet service needs.
- Resolve unusual service requests, equipment breakdowns and schedule changes with timely communications to all stakeholders.
- Interact with customers to solve and rectify any issues and improve the overall customer experience.
- Work with Sales team on identifying new sales opportunities and addressing customer needs.
- Understand, provide leadership, and communicate safety goals and objectives.
- Orient, train and coach all staff on safety requirements, ensure safety compliance, and take appropriate action to address safety violations.
- Establish and maintain a clean, safe work environment in compliance with company and OSHA standards and perform monthly Safety Inspections, as assigned.
- If an incident occurs, including a near miss, complete documentation, conduct and investigation/root cause analysis and address performance/discipline issues.
- Measure, manage, and minimize number of OSHA recordable injuries, Total Recordable Injury Rate (TRIR), DOT violations, and overall incidents
- Build and develop talent on the team, understand employees’ career goals and provide coaching to get employees ready for advancement with the Company.
- Supervise and manage performance; ensure tasks are appropriately delegated and completed by monitoring performance and holding employees accountable for meeting expectations.
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback to staff, deliver corrective action and discipline when necessary, and document all performance issues.
- Ensure employees adhere to company policies and legal regulations, engage HR when appropriate.
- Manage conflict and crisis; proactively anticipate, manage and constructively resolve conflicts and disagreements.
- Hold regular team meetings (i.e. daily, weekly huddle meetings) to communicate priorities, safety, policies, company events, etc.
- Monitor employee time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that employees do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies.
Perform other job related duties as needed or assigned. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED, Associate’s Degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations
- Minimum 2 years in a supervisory capacity
Demonstrated skills and abilities
- Ability to interface effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent verbal communication skills both one-on-one and in speaking before a group.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all company divisions in a way that promotes supervisory success as well as overall company success.
- Strength in initiative-taking, and a demonstrated track record in proactively identifying improvement opportunities and acting upon them.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks demanding of immediate attention, and to juggle multiple, on-going, concurrent responsibilities.
- Ability to work efficiently and maximize productivity.
- Commitment to integrity and ethical behavior and the proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Competency in the following computer programs: MS Excel, Word, Outlook.
For more information on Life at Modern, visit http://www.moderncorporation.com/careers/