LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother in law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: Asphalt Construction Laborer/ Traffic Control Laborer
The Asphalt Construction Crew Laborer/ Traffic Control Labor performs tasks involving physical labor at heavy highway construction projects and works as part of a construction team to divert traffic from the work area while ensuring (1) that traffic stays out of the way of the workers; (2) the safety of the pedestrian and motoring public; and (3) his or her own safety.
- Learn and exhibit company core values, resulting in a cooperative, positive, and supportive attitude.
- Properly follow all company policies as spelled out in the Employee Handbook.
- Properly follow all OSHA regulations and company Safety Program requirements to ensure safe working procedures and a safe working environment.
- Perform all tasks associated with traffic management, as well as assist with the road construction project.
- Accurately layout a traffic management scheme in accordance with basic rules, from a generic traffic control diagram or formal traffic management plan.
- Accurately complete site hazard assessments and implement control measures to suit the construction site.
- Be able to set up cones, barrels, signs, temporary barricades and other traffic control and safety devices; as well as the loading & unloading and care & maintenance of these devices.
- Must be able to safely flag and direct traffic.
- Level asphalt/aggregate to grade specifications using rakes, shovels, and trowels.
- Dig, spread, level, and remove construction materials.
- Lift, carry and hold materials, tools, and supplies. Walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
- Assist with the placement, movement and dismantling of signs, barricades, cones and other traffic control and safety devices.
- Accurately and regularly complete site checks and monitor traffic behavior and/or flow to ensure that safety is always maintained.
- Obey instructions from crew foremen, leaders, managers, state DOT inspectors, auditors, and officials.
- Follow directions of foreman as to daily tasks and expectations for each specific job site. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively as a team with foreman, fellow crew members and management.
- Must understand SAFETY and be committed:
- To the health and safety of all employees, subcontractors, customers, and the community;
- To promoting a comprehensive safety culture;
- To individual accountability for following our safety standards; and
- To actively support and participate in a zero accident environment.
- Must be committed to learning the meaning of the company CORE VALUES, as well as their application to the specific, daily duties of the job:
- Humility – freedom from arrogance with a genuine respect for others and their perspectives.
- Relationships – giving priority to people and teamwork over processes.
- Stewardship – taking personal responsibility for the proper care and sharing of company assets.
- Continuous Improvement – committed to being open-minded, growing and learning.
- Must learn the principles of TOTAL PROCESS RELIABILITY (TPR) and implement them into the daily work routine, in order to contribute to maximum equipment reliability, increased production and reduced maintenance costs.
- Willingness and ability to work varied schedules day, night, and/or weekend that meet Lehman-Roberts Company’s customer needs
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees
- Must be 18 years or older
- Experience with asphalt paving not required, but preferred.
- Must pass a "fit-for-duty" physical exam and drug screen
- Willingness to work outdoors in extreme conditions, including hot, cold, high noise levels, and exposure to dust and fumes and able to stand 8-12 hours in the extreme conditions. Must have excellent stamina.
- Valid unrestricted driver’s license required.
- Must be able to read, follow and comprehend road traffic diagrams, regulations, and instructions.
- Required to wear all safety PPE as defined by the Lehman-Roberts Company Safety Director or determined by customer specifications.
- During the course of duties the traffic control technician may be subject to verbal abuse from motorists, and are expected to act in a professional manner and not permit themselves to be provoked. The public must be treated with respect.
- Must be alert and aware of everything going on around the construction area, consistently following safe work practices.
- Traffic Control Technician certification a plus but not required
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Plus Earned Paid Time Off
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K w/ Company Match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability and Vision
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.
Additional Job Information