LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother in law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: Safety Manager
Primarily responsible for leading and managing the company’s safety initiatives, safety loss control programs, and the development of a safety and risk management culture dedicated to being “best in class.” Ensures safety program is designed to comply with OSHA, MSHA and other construction industry standards. Takes action as needed to ensure project goals, objectives and initiatives are met in alignment with the mission, vision and values of our family of companies.
Core Four Applicability
The Safety Manager maintains excellent relationships with our vendors, independent contractors and coworkers while continuously improving processes. The Safety Manager must also demonstrate humility and stewardship with co-workers, managers and all other contractors and agencies supporting our efforts.
- Provide proactive leadership in building a “best in class” safety culture.
- Be an integral part of our Live Safe Work Safe culture program.
- Plan, organize, direct, execute and evaluate program elements of a comprehensive safety program.
- Lead development of and clearly articulate the company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies, policies and procedures to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors which lead to “best in class” results.
- Ensure safety and health training meets internal and external requirements to ensure team members have the proper safety training to perform tasks and jobs.
- Develop and refine annual plans for safety and health initiatives, including training.
- Assist in the administration of our Workers Compensation program.
- Identify trends using internal data and develop plans to mitigate risk.
- Lead incident investigations and compile data to assist in litigation of claims.
- Manage hazard assessment activities by conducting and/ or supervising safety audits.
- Analyze inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventative and corrective practices.
- Lead the safety on-boarding process for all new employees.
Required Experience, Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety Management or related field preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in the construction industry or safety management.
- Proficient knowledge of OSHA, MSHA Surface Mining, FHWA, FMCSA, State agency, general industry and construction regulatory requirements and programs.
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation programs
- Ability to work independently and within a group
- Strong organization skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize daily/weekly/monthly tasks
- Willingness to learn and ability to pick up new tasks quickly and efficiently
- Effective communicator
- Self-starter, ability to work autonomously in a heavy industry environment.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Proven track record of success showing leadership on complex safety issues.
- Valid driver’s license
Highly Preferred Experience, Education and Qualifications
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and Associate Risk Management (ARM) certification.
- OSHA 500
- Environmental, Drug/Alcohol program management, ADA and Workers Compensation experience is a strong plus.
Success Criteria and Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Plan Reading
- Basic Scheduling
- Construction Technology
- Basic Equipment Knowledge.
- Expertise in Safety, health and environmental regulations (OSHA, MSHA).
- Open-ended and probing questioning skills.
- Oral Communication – Effectively conveys and receives information between vendors, customers and coworkers
- Customer Service – Acts in a professional manner towards independent contractors, vendors, customers and coworkers
Environmental Working Conditions
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position.
- Office environment (60%)
- Daytime travel within local area (40%)
- Occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Work may entail visits to multiple sites in which incumbent could be exposed to loud noise, dust, and odor
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Matching Retirement Program
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company and Memphis Stone & Gravel not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designee and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.