MEMPHIS STONE & GRAVEL COMPANY
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother-in-law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to Wilson Street at McLemore in 1943 and remained there until its move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1972, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still family-owned and operated, Patrick Nelson leads as Chairman of the Board in our dedication to the mining of aggregates, manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are our “Core Four”, the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With mining and manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, our family of companies specialize in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: Director of Communications and Community Engagement
The Director of Communications and Community Engagement is a key role, setting the tone for the culture of our companies. This position will be responsible for internal communications and events relative to all team members, as well as external communications that speak to the public face of our brands. This position also engages with ministries and non-profits whose values align with our own, determining how we can best support and serve them.
“Core Four” Applicability
The Director of Communications and Community Engagement builds and maintains close relationships with team members, as well as ministry, non-profit and community leaders while continuously improving ways to broadcast our message and serve our communities. The person in this role is most successful when demonstrating humility in obtaining and sharing information and stewardship in best utilizing resources.
- Cultivates a culture centered on the values of humility, stewardship, continuous improvement and relationships
- Develops a cohesive communications strategy, centered on those core values
- Develops a voice that projects a positive and honest image for each brand
- Directs the creation of digital, video, audio and print content
- Determines, composes and/or edits all newsletter content
- Develops social media calendar, composes copy and schedules posts
- Tracks engagement across various platforms
- Manages media relations
- Responsible for annual budget
- Builds and nurtures relationships with non-profit and ministry partners, with a focus on education, evangelism and community development
- Responsible for coordinating annual company-wide community service event as well as other smaller service projects throughout the year
- Plans and coordinates three large annual employee events and other events as needed
Required Experience, Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related discipline (highly preferred) with minimum 3 years’ experience or 3 – 5 years industry related experience
- Strong communication skills, able to effectively receive and convey information
- Digital content management experience
- Strong organization skills; able to multi-task and prioritize
- Flexible; able to pivot while maintaining poise
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Success Criteria and Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Genuine compassion for others
- Behaves professionally while focused on serving the greater good of our companies, our people and our communities
- Team player; able to work independently and within a group
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Trustworthy and honest, adheres to the policies and procedures set forth by the company and professional standards of conduct
- Self-driven to plan for and achieve short- and long-term goals
- Creative vision for company branding
- Safety-oriented; follows and promotes safety rules and procedures; recognizes hazards and anticipates danger, sets an example for safe work behavior
Environmental Working Conditions
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position.
- Office environment (80%)
- Travel within our areas of operation (20%)
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Matching Retirement Program
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short- & Long-Term Disability
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company and Memphis Stone & Gravel not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designee and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.