LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Our history goes back to 1939 when W. E. Lehman and George B. Roberts bought the Mississippi and Memphis operations of Carey-Reed Company, a company started by Mr. Roberts’ brother in law in 1907. The new Lehman-Roberts Company located their first asphalt plant and office on Front Street in downtown Memphis. The headquarters moved to the 1111 Wilson street address in 1943 and remained there until its recent move to 670 S. Cooper in September 2019. In 1971, the company became affiliated with Memphis Stone and Gravel Company through common ownership.
Still a family owned business, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing of quality hot mix asphalt and the superior placement of that pavement. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, Lehman-Roberts Company specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial parking lots to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
CURRENT OPPORTUNITY: ASPHALT PLANT GROUND/MAINTENANCE LABORER
Starting wages: $14 an hour
Performs daily maintenance duties at Asphalt Plant, including greasing plant components and cleaning material build-up.
- Must work in safe, professional manner, following company policies and OSHA regulations at all times. Wearing of personal protective equipment is required at all times.
- Perform regular maintenance on asphalt plant and field operations equipment, including climbing ladders and working at heights up to 100 feet as well as carrying objects up to 75 lbs. for approximately 20 feet.
- Monitor plant components and notify foreman of changes or parts in need of repair.
- Must be willing to accept training on plant systems, equipment operation, welding and repair of mobile equipment, etc.
- Complete responsibilities in a heavy industrial environment, exposed to all weather elements as well as high noise levels.
- Must promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and have good recognition skills of potential hazards.
- Travel to various plant locations in North Mississippi and West Tennessee.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Must pass a “fit-for-duty” physical exam and drug screen.
- Must have dependable transportation to and from work.
- Must be punctual and dependable, good manager of time and thrive within a flexible work schedule that can include early start times, late quit times, weekends and occasional night work.
- Show ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Familiarity with heavy construction equipment and have basic mechanical understanding and skills.
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401K w/Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability and Vision
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company and Memphis Stone & Gravel not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designee and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.