40% Budget Preparation and Monitoring the Annual Budget
- Oversee preparation of all documents, including spreadsheets, summaries, analysis, performance measures, and other related items for budget document.
- Oversee preparation of salary estimates and projections for future years.
- Develop and maintain Capital Improvement Plan, Equipment Plan, Vehicle Replacement Plan and 5-Year Financial Plan.
- Develop and maintain short-term and long-term financial forecasts for revenues and expenditures for use in ongoing decision making and budget document preparation.
- Track and compare expenditures throughout the year, and communicate with department directors quarterly about budget concerns.
- Develop and analyze the citizen satisfaction survey and gather performance data from departments. Provide leadership and supervision to staff and delegate projects and tasks.
- Provide training and professional development opportunities to staff to ensure they keep up on developments in their fields.
30% Financial Research
- Investigate potential revenue sources and expenditure reductions.
- Conduct research for assigned projects, including analyzing data and reporting results.
- Provide financial research and analysis for the Capital Improvement Program, Vehicle Replacement Plan, and Equipment Plan.
20% Risk Management
- Administer property, liability, auto, and wrongful acts insurance policies.
- Monitor activities to ensure the city’s risk exposure is minimized.
- Prepare documentation for the periodic purchasing/bidding of insurance.
- Investigate accidents and prepare reports for liability insurance carrier.
- Serve on Safety Committee.
10% Monitor Purchasing and Inventory
- Prepare requests for proposals and bids for large capital assets and contractual services plus facilitate the development and review of all bid documents posted to the City’s website.
- Evaluate bids and provide recommendations based on financial soundness.
- Serve on the Bid Board.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned, and then the employee arranges tasks to complete duties. Problem-solving is accomplished by employee independently most of the time. Most decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy. Regular and reliable attendance at work is required. Occasional compensatory time or overtime required.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and the general public.
- Bachelor degree in finance, public/business administration, or related field, required.
- MPA or MBA, or equivalent experience, required.
- Two years of experience in financial management, public administration, or budget preparation, required.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of financial reporting and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of computers, business correspondence, filing, typing, organizational skills, and municipal procedures.
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Ability to analyze financial information against public policy goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively plan, assign, and delegate the work of others.
- Ability to operate office-related equipment, including ability to access and retrieve information from various computer software programs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, intermediate level Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to navigate the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Office environment. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 30 pounds. Occasional bending, squatting, and twisting. Frequent use of manual dexterity and visualization of a computer screen throughout the day.