McGuire and Hester, a wholly owned subsidiary of Harbor Linx Inc., is a construction company that provides complete site work services: pipelines, grading paving, concrete, landscape and mechanical. In addition to traditional project delivery methods, we are involved with design build projects and alternative delivery methods. McGuire and Hester has played an integral role in the construction of many of Northern California’s most recognizable landmarks and infrastructure projects. Our storied past crosses more than nine decades. Our mission statement is, “Together We Build Things Right” which encompasses our business philosophy as well as our values and culture. We have a team environment that focuses on the greater good, resulting in a fantastic place to work that positively impacts our business partners and community.
A Project Engineer I assists the Project Manager with the routine aspects of field and cost engineering in order to deliver a successful project; meeting and exceeding corporate and project goals. This position will receive both on-the-job and formal training with the goal of learning the “McGuire and Hester” way.
- Attends pre-job planning meetings to review estimates, plans and specs with Estimators, Superintendents and Area Manager.
- Prepare, submit and follow up on Requests for Information (RFIs).
- Assist in the review of all project management procedures including submittal, invoices, requests for information, change orders, close-out documents, etc.
- Monitor submittal approvals and shop drawing process in accordance with project schedule.
- Assist Project Manager with purchasing, supporting the project budget, schedule and contract documents by effectively buying out material and subcontractors in a timely manner.
- Actively remain involved to learn from construction efforts including participating in construction planning and design; interpretation of design; application of construction methods; resolution and documentation of design conflicts; constructability reviews etc. Proactively identify potential “problem areas” early in the process and develop strategies to overcome obstacles.
- Assist with the preparation and maintenance of project administrative documents (submittals, billings, daily payroll reports, change orders, timely job file updates to Company file server) as directed by Project Manager.
- Collect, input and prepare Material billings.
- Understand the budget cost-coding and properly apply it to accurate and timely daily timesheet input.
- Field measure and document daily quantities completed.
- Gather and account for daily material deliveries, and review and approve subcontractor and vendor invoices in a timely manner.
- Manage project engineering and related personnel functions and activities in compliance with company and contract requirements, and in support of overall construction schedule.
- Assist in maintaining the schedule and review project schedule and two-week look-ahead on a weekly basis with the Superintendent and the rest of the project team including subcontractors.
- Inform PM and Superintendent of any issues and delays.
- Discuss, implement and promote best practices that drive site safety. Identify and recognize the safe work practices of others and promote Safety Bucks Program.
- Ensure a clean, safe and OSHA compliant jobsite. Monitor overall site safety and inforce compliance with all predetermined communicated safety guidelines. Proactively identify and correct potential safety hazards.
- Make timely and accurate notifications following accidents and jobsite incidents.
- Assist in resolving project and personnel problems as they arise; notify supervisor and or appropriate department head as needed.
- Assist in a post-job review on every assigned project to identify and discuss “lessons learned” as well a “project victories”.
- Maintain good client and business partner relationships; serve as a liaison between owner’s, subcontractors and company personnel.
- Resolve project problems, disputes and open issues on a timely basis.
- Maintain current certifications for CPR/First Aid, OSHA 30, Asbestos Cement Pipe, Harassment Prevention for Supervisors, Competent Person Trenching and Shoring, Confined Space Entry/Rescue and other training as appropriate to the type of work being performed. Attend training classes as provided.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and Experience: undergraduate degree in construction management, landscape architecture or civil engineering or equivalent in construction management related experience; undergraduate degree preferred
Language Skills: must be able to read and write in English; bilingual in Spanish helpful but not required
Mathematical Skills: basic business math and the ability to create and understand budgets; geometry, algebra and physics necessary for calculating volume, area and tonnage.
Planning and Organizing: this position requires self-motivation, strong planning, organizing and time management skills, the ability to create and follow a schedule and multiple activities
Reasoning Ability: must have strong problem solving, analytical skills and reading comprehension and be able to deal with both standardized and non-standard situations with many variables.
Interpersonal Skills: the ability to interface and collaborate with a wide variety of people including clients, employees, managers, agencies and the public
Computer Skills: must be fluent with Microsoft Office Suite. Individuals in this position will also need to be able to learn to use new technologies as they evolve or are implemented.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration: valid California Driver’s License and clean driving record
Besides a competitive salary and the best retirement package in the industry we offer:
- Company Vehicle (or auto allowance)
- Family medical, dental and vision
- Company Stock (ESOP)
- 401k Employer Match
- Bonus Program
- Continuing Education Reimbursement
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sabbatical Program
- Personal Financial Planning
We are confident that our retirement plan is the best in the industry.