Job Title: Trimmer/Climber (CDL Required) - HIRING BONUS AVAILABLE!
This position trims, tops, and reshapes trees to remove low-hanging branches and to create more attractive shapes. Removes dead and excess branches from trees and/or from around power lines.
Nelson Tree Service provides utility companies with line clearance services, upholding a commitment to the highest standards of performance and professionalism. If this sounds like you apply today!
Nelson crews are widely heralded as among the most well-trained vegetation management specialists in the United States. At every level, Nelson’s leaders and employees know there is more to line clearance than trimming trees—there’s that whole matter of reputation.
Job Type: Full-Time +, Non-Exempt
Pay: Competitive, Hourly
- Benefits Available and Vary per position and location
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Trims and/or removes trees, branches, trunk sections
- Operate and service all required tools/equipment.
- Cuts and splits large debris into manageable pieces.
- Sprays areas with equipment to prevent further growth.
- Loads/unloads trucks.
- Feeds brush & debris into wood chipper.
- Repairs minor job-related-damage to lawns, fences, and walk-ways.
- Services gasoline, air, and hand-powered tools and other equipment.
- Relays hand-signals, directs traffic, drives, and operates trucks and equipment, as assigned.
- Keeps trucks and work area clear and orderly.
- Safeguards employees and public from hazards in and around work area.
- Cooperates with customer, police, and fire departments when blocking street or driveways.
- Sets up barriers, warning signs, flags, markers, etc. to protect employees and public.
- Trained to perform tree and bucket rescue.
- Assists training new employees.
- Assumes responsibility for the inspection and proper working conditions of tools, truck, and other work equipment.
- Requests repair or replacement, when necessary.
- Maintains good housekeeping on truck and at work locations.
- Performs other related work, as assigned by superiors.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- No fear of heights.
- Excellent hand-to-eye coordination.
- Able to walk, climb, and work from ladders, various heights, on uneven and slippery surfaces, performing mentally/physically demanding work under unfavorable weather conditions while handling equipment or material.
- Able to work with hands above head for extended periods of time.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Entry-level position, no experience required.
- Previous experience a plus.
- Upon offer, employees may be required to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, background, and/or MVR check.
License & Certifications:
- Valid commercial Driver license (CDL) required.
- Must have own transportation to and from the show up location.
- RARE (less than 10%): Sitting, Kneeling, Crawling, Color Vision, Climbing Stairs
- OCCASIONAL (up to 33%): Stooping, Squatting, Climbing On/Off Truck, Climbing Ladders, Pushing, Reading,
- FREQUENT (up to 66%): Carrying, Pulling, Lifting up to 50 lbs., Balancing, body-twisting, Hearing/Speech Range, Lifting, Lifting up to 10 lbs., Manual Dexterity, Reading, Speaking Clearly, Walking
- CONTINUOUS (up to 100%): Standing, Sense of Touch, Gripping, Seeing Distant, Reaching, range-of-motion, Depth Perception, Lifting over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs., Climbing Poles
Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must have sufficient eyesight to judge distance/coordination of equipment and tools, be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods, be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, be able to wear personal protective equipment as necessary, be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day, have the endurance necessary to traverse various terrain, be capable of performing job duties throughout a standard 8- or 10-hour day, be able to communicate with others, read, write, and comprehend written/verbal job instructions and information, and communicate and handle conflict professionally.
At Nelson Tree Service, we protect the reputations of the utilities we serve. It is a defining component of our work, as we are the ambassadors for the utilities that entrust us with their vegetation management needs.
We know what it takes to ensure a successful outcome in any line clearance process. Property owners must be informed about the work, and our crews must operate at maximum efficiency while maintaining the highest levels of safety and quality.
Nelson personnel are provided with comprehensive customer service training and a positive work environment, which ultimately sustains our culture of excellence.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.