The City of Derby strives to be an employer of choice and our desire is to attract and retain honest, hard working and motivated employees who are committed to providing the highest quality of service to the citizens of Derby. We offer competitive wages, awesome benefits, including affordable health insurance with no deductible and no coinsurance and retirement benefits. Details related to the position description are below:
70% Building Maintenance
- Operate motor vehicle and other equipment on a regular basis.
- Ensure all building maintenance work ticket requests are completed timely and tracked.
- Document information, such as future maintenance needs and plans, in the building maintenance knowledge base system.
- Prepare building meeting spaces as requested.
- Conduct minor repairs to buildings and equipment, which may include carpentry, painting, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work.
- Responsible for locating parts, supplies, and materials to complete repairs.
- Ability to assist in the maintenance of security/camera and building control
- Maintain all department equipment in good working order; troubleshoot problems.
- Organize and maintain equipment and supplies in a clean and safe condition.
- Respond to department and city emergencies.
- Assist with snow removal operations.
- Assist in all aspects of implementing projects at city buildings as assigned.
- Provide assistance for city functions and events as assigned.
- Provide excellent customer service to employees who request assistance and follow up as needed to ensure satisfaction with services provided.
- Assist with documentation of information in the work ticket helpdesk knowledge
- Participate in the development of division goals and objectives as well as making recommendations for new or improved policies and procedures regarding city
- Maintain inventory of supplies and order supplies and tools when
- Supervise subordinate staff as required.
- Plan, schedule and prioritize staff work assignments.
- Provide recommendations regarding individual performance expectations and monitor and evaluate employee performance through formal and informal performance reviews according to policy.
- Provide recommendations regarding employment-related decisions involving hiring, discipline, and all other status changes.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned will be performed in order to address business needs.
Latitude: Most duties are defined and consistent from day to day. Problem solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Duties will vary from day to day and employee will react to short notice request for service. Some decisions not affecting other departments may be made independently based on city policy. Decisions will be reviewed by supervisor. All purchase requests must be approved by supervisor. Regular and reliable attendance at work is expected.
Interaction: Frequent interaction with employees throughout the organization and vendors. Occasional contact with the general public.
- High School Diploma or equivalent,
- Two years of building maintenance/property maintenance experience or two years of education in construction management, management, engineering, or a related field, preferred.
- Two years of supervisory experience,
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training will be
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) 100, 200 certifications required within 12 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of construction practices, building maintenance and repair.
- Ability to read and use
- Knowledge of pertinent local, state and federal laws, ordinances, codes, and
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Ability to operate office-related equipment, including ability to access and retrieve information from various computer software programs.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Some exposure to adverse weather conditions, hazardous elements, and dangerous situations. Most (75%) work will be completed indoors. Occasional (25%) carrying, lifting, moving of 50 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, manual dexterity, and hand/eye coordination throughout the day.
Occasional evening hours and overtime are required to respond to building emergencies.