The City of Derby strives to be an employer of choice and our desire is to attract and retain honest, hard working and motivated employees who are committed to providing the highest quality of service to the citizens of Derby. We offer competitive wages, awesome benefits, including affordable health insurance with no deductible and no coinsurance and retirement benefits. We also offer Alternative Work Schedules to help employees achieve work-life balance. Pay starts at: $17.39 an hour. Details related to the position description are below:
40% Receptionist & Clerical Support
- Answer incoming calls for the division and transfer to appropriate destination.
- Answer public inquiries regarding division functions and guide public through division processes and programs.
- Sort and disseminate mail and relay messages to the appropriate person or division.
- Greet visitors and provide assistance as needed.
- Serve as Advisory Board Secretary. Prepare agendas, packets, and minutes.
- Type meeting minutes, reports, and other documents.
- File and maintain division files and correspondence in an orderly manner.
- Maintain equipment and training manuals.
- Schedule and set up conference and training rooms.
- Process, fax and scan documents as required.
- Program monthly activities into the cash register.
20% Records and Reports
- Compile and formulate division statistics.
- Prepare various division reports, including accounts, and copier usage.
- Track and log Sedgwick County Department on Aging data.
35% Accounting, Purchasing and Inventory
- Organize and prepare purchase requests and forward to administrator.
- Track expenses and conduct cost analysis on purchases.
- Manage the division petty cash.
- Provide information for the annual division budget preparation.
- Collect fees for services. Calculate charges and prepare and send out billing statements.
- Make checks and credit card deposits for the division.
- Develop and maintain inventory reports and enter purchases into inventory program.
- Order supplies and/or equipment from vendors from approved purchase requests.
- Pick up and deliver ordered supplies and equipment when necessary.
5% Provide Support to Senior Services Programs
- Recruit and organize volunteers for various senior programs.
- Provide assistance with sponsored events. Organize sign-up sheets.
Continually looks for new and improved ways of completing the above functions. Other tasks as assigned by supervisor will be performed in order to address unexpected situations or needs that may arise.
Latitude: Most duties are assigned and then employee arranges tasks in order to complete duties. Most problem-solving is accomplished in conjunction with supervisor. Some decisions not affecting other divisions may be made independently in accordance with city policy. All purchase requests should be approved by supervisor. Regular and reliable attendance at work is expected.
Interaction: Frequent face-to-face interaction with employees throughout the organization and general public.
- Associate degree in related field, preferred. Bachelor degree preferred.
- One to three years related office support experience, required.
- Valid Kansas driver’s license, and driving record must meet commercial liability insurance requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business correspondence, filing, typing, organizational skills, and clerical procedures.
- Ability to operate a multi-line telephone, radio equipment, and other office related machinery.
- Ability to access, input, process, and retrieve information from the computer.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher.
- Ability to navigate the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the general public and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions: Office environment. Occasional carrying, lifting, moving, or pushing of 30 pounds. Occasional bending, squatting, and twisting. Frequent use of manual dexterity and visualization of a computer screen throughout the day. Occasional overtime required.