Job Title: Groundperson
The groundperson is responsible for gathering and feeding brush & debris into a woodchipper, scanning areas from trip and fall hazards, ensuring other workers stay out of the path of travel. This position is also responsible for maintaining equipment and materials.
Are you a real go-getter looking for an amazing opportunity with a nationwide full-service-utility contractor offering competitive wages and incredible benefits? Keep reading because this job might be for you!
Since 1928, Asplundh has been dedicated to safe, efficient and innovative line clearance services to the utility industry. Reliable, uninterrupted power is an important service provided by the world's electrical utilities and Asplundh has the expertise to help keep the power flowing. Diversification over the years has opened up vegetation management services to other specialized markets such as municipalities, railroads, pipelines, helicopter vegetation services, and departments of transportation.
A family-owned and operated corporation headquartered near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Asplundh has grown to employ over 33,000 service professionals throughout the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Job Type: Full-Time +, Non-Exempt
Pay: Competitive, Hourly
- Company Sponsored Retirement Plan
- Health Insurance (Medical/Dental/Vision)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life, long-term/short-term disability insurances
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Operate chainsaw to cut brush, logs and stumps of larger trees.
- Gather and feed brush into wood chipper.
- Apply chemical herbicide to right-of-way
- Utilize hose and spray nozzle to treat remote areas.
- Services vehicles and equipment, maintaining them in neat, clean, and specified mechanical order.
- Assists in mixing herbicide
- Works on unlevel ground, around hazardous equipment, falling debris/tree limbs, and excessive equipment noise with
- Works in all temperatures and weather and will be exposed to nature, i.e., irritating plants, biting or stinging insects, dust, etc.
- Must be 18 years-of-age or older.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Entry-level position, no experience required.
- Previous experience a plus.
- Upon offer, employees are required to subject and pass both a pre-employment drug screen and background and/or MVR check.
License & Certifications:
- Valid commercial driver's license (CDL) required
- RARE (less than 10%): Sitting, Crawling, Climbing Poles, Color Vision, Climbing Ladders, Climbing Stairs
- OCCASSIONAL (up to 33%): stooping, kneeling squatting, body twisting, sense of touch, climbing on/off truck, gripping, lifting over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs., reaching, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing ladders, balancing, lifting over 50 lbs.
- FREQUENT (up to 66%): standing, walking, manual dexterity, seeing distant, seeing, reading, range of motion, hearing-speech range, depth perception, climbing stairs, lifting up to 10 lbs.
- CONTINUOUS (up to 100%): Sense of Touch, Gripping, Seeing, Carrying, Pulling
Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must have sufficient eyesight to judge distance/coordination of equipment and tools, be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time, be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, be able to wear personal protective equipment as necessary, be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day, have the endurance necessary to traverse various terrain, be capable of performing job duties throughout a standard 8- or 10-hour day, be able to communicate with others, read, write, and comprehend written/verbal job instructions and information, and communicate & handle confrontations professionally.
As a full-service utility contractor Asplundh performs tree pruning and removals, right-of-way clearing and maintenance, vegetation management with herbicides and emergency storm work and logistical support. Asplundh is the parent company of UtiliCon Solutions whose subsidiaries provide overhead and underground line construction, planning and design, meter reading and AMR/AMI installation, electrical testing, and street lighting/traffic signal services. Asplundh also operates Rotor Blade Airborne Utilities Management, overhead electric distribution and transmission lines using MD 500 helicopters.
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.