LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY - A PROUD TRADITION SINCE 1939
Lehman-Roberts Company and sister company Memphis Stone and Gravel, have been a part of the fabric of Memphis for more than a combined 190 years. Now in its fourth generation of family ownership, Patrick Nelson leads as President in our dedication to the manufacturing and placement of quality hot mix asphalt along with surface mining of aggregates. Anchoring our company's efforts are the core values of stewardship, humility, continuous improvement, and relationships. With manufacturing facilities throughout West Tennessee and North Mississippi, the family of companies specializes in construction projects ranging from commercial projects to miles of interstate highway paving throughout the Mid-South.
We have committed to become a leader in the highway construction and aggregate industries by rewarding our most valuable resource... our employees! As part of the family, we offer:
- Relocation Assistance Available
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Medical/ Dental/ Vision Insurance
- Matching 401k Program and Profit Sharing
- Bonus Program
- Vehicle Reimbursement Program
- Life Insurance
- Service Awards
- Flexible Spending Account
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance, Short/ Long Term Disability
Environmental Health and Safety Leader Review
We are looking for a passionate change-agent and advocate for the Lehman Roberts safety culture and is dedicated to being Best in Class. We are on a road to Safety Excellence and this position sets the course and direction on a journey that will never end. Vision, influence, leadership, communication, teamwork, and an insatiable drive towards excellence are required. The incumbent must be an expert in the field of safety and have the ability to brief ownership and executive leadership on complex EHS issues, coordinate and communicate amongst season leaders in different divisions and be relevant and approachable to tradesman across the company.
To excel at this position a balance of leadership and safety mastery is required. A perfect candidate will have he ability to translate OSHA, MSHA, DOT and EPA compliance standards and best practices into company policy and processes while using data to drive behavior change to strive for Safety Excellence. They will also have experience in the construction, transportation, mining, or environmental industries.
EHS Leader Responsibilities
- Broad technical experience and knowledge in EHS discipline related to construction and mining.
- Lead and champion the development, implementation, and continuous improvement of EHS Management System elements pertaining to all construction, mining, and manufacturing operation teams.
- Lead effort to transition to an Environmental Management System consistent with recognized industry standards.
- Manage environmental compliance, monitoring, and reporting requirements
- Monitor effectiveness of all EHS policies, practices, and processes to determine efficiency and effectiveness. Recommend improvements to achieve and deliver improved results.
- Drive EHS performance through EHS metrics and data analysis.
- Create and standardize policies for employees/contractors to follow that minimize job-related hazards.
- Lead and document incident investigations to determine outcomes.
- Lead, review and improve the hazard analysis program and utilization of JHA tools.
- Perform frequent job-site safety inspections, procedural audits, review compliance with environmental rules and take immediate action where required.
- Execute safety initiatives and programs to attain industry leading results.
- Review and update EHS strategic plan to drive safety excellence.
- Manage and supervise safety team, consultants, and internal safety teams.
- Integration of EHS elements into the capital plan for divisions and units.
- Key point of contact for interacting with local, state, federal officials requesting information.
- Own company-wide pandemic plan. Work across the company to implement protocols as appropriate.
EHS Director Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited school in Environmental Health and Safety/ Occupational Safety and Health or related field
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or similar certification required
- 3-4 years of progressive leadership experience required
- Experience/knowledge/training in MSHA and OSHA General Industry and Construction Regulations, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in development and execution of EHS strategy.
- Demonstrated experience leading and building effective teams of professionals, remotely, indirectly and cross-cultures.
- Demonstrated success improving safety performance across multiple locations or business types.
- Demonstrated track record of environmental management and compliance.
- Demonstrated success using data analysis to establish priorities, weight solutions, and obtain stakeholder buy-in.
Highly Preferred Experience, Education and Qualifications
- 8+ years of experience.
- Knowledge of workers compensation regulation and practices.
- Prior experience in the construction, transportation, mining, or environmental industries.
Work Conditions/ Physical Requirements
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position.
- 50 % office environment
- 50% field environment which includes travel between North MS and South West TN
- Occasional exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Walking, standing and driving for periods of time
- Work may entail visits to multiple sites in which incumbent could be exposed to loud noise, dust, and odor
It is the policy of Lehman-Roberts Company not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex (to include pregnancy and sexual orientation), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, or because he or she is a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Lehman-Roberts Company and/or the Memphis Stone & Gravel Company and their designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and veterans.