Deckhands are the cornerstone of all the work we do at Brennan Marine Inc, and the demand for our work is growing. Our deckhands are vital to the operation and maintenance of Brennan's tugboats. We’re looking for an entry level deckhand to join our skilled boat crew.
As a deckhand at Brennan, you are a key member in our organization. You keep product moving and safeguard important commodities as they travel hundreds of miles to get product to its destination. You are an essential worker at Brennan and in the US. Economy.
As a member of the Brennan crew, you’ll report to the mate/pilot and assist in the switching and fleeting of barges as we provide efficient and safe work to our customers. Deckhands get to work with a small team to complete the important work of ensuring products are transported to their destination safely. Deckhands get to do a variety of tasks from working in tow to boat engine maintenance tasks to completing daily housekeeping to make their vessel shine. Other duties include:
- Inspect barges for damage and leaks, which at times requires climbing into confined spaces
- Use lines, wires, ratchets, and stationary winches to build and break tow in all weather conditions
- Operate tools and equipment like ratchets, shackles, chain straps and wires/cables
- Complete daily and periodic maintenance tasks such as cleaning, painting, chipping, transferring rigging, and vessel maintenance
- Report vessel condition information to the mate or pilot, especially any hazardous or unsafe condition of the boat, tow, or any associated equipment, and take action to prevent injuries or accidents
Brennan deckhands are hard workers and enjoy working outdoors on the water. Rain or shine, our clients and their end customers need your help getting commodities and products delivered.
- Ability to work safely - safety is our #1 priority
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- High school diploma or GED required
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely over a radio
- Ability to 12-hour shifts, days, nights, weekends, and holidays in any weather
- Capable of lifting and moving heavy objects
- This position requires you to pass pre-employment screenings like a background check, physical and a DOT drug screen that are regulated by federal guidelines.
- Willing and able to learn the challenging tasks of being a safe crew member and deckhand
Compensation and Benefits
We provide a generous, industry-leading benefits package. The protection of our employees and families is important to us, we are proud to offer a group health insurance plan that is designed with our teams needs in mind.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance plans
- Optional accident, cancer, and critical illness insurance
- 401(k) program with generous matching
- Annual bonus eligibility
- Annual profit-sharing program
- Paid vacation, time off
- ID protection
- Fitness plan reimbursement
Why choose us?
- You will get to work for a company voted by our employees as a Great Place to Work®, for the sixth year in a row and recognized by Fortune magazine as a Best Workplace in Construction
- Our focus on safety and quality is unmatched in the industry, and our ability to innovate has enabled us to exceed.
- They key to our success is our people! From personal development, to teamwork and collaboration, we strive to promote individual growth and advancement.
- We are a family-focused company and are determined to provide a rewarding career that offers above average compensation.
If you want a career where you will work hard, have opportunities for advancement, and do things every day that others only dream about then we want you.
Brennan Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.