Major Gifts Officer
Full-time, Regular Status, FLSA Nonexempt
Location: Seattle/Burien; King County, WA
$65,200 – $84,800 annually (Grade 13)
Dependent on years of experience
Childhaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are upholding this by recruiting candidates of every race, creed, color, religion, caste, national or ethnic origin, gender or gender identity, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and all other historically marginalized and excluded communities other protected status as provided by law. Qualified individuals who bring diverse perspectives to the workplace are highly encouraged to apply!
We are proud to be a values-driven organization that serves families from diverse communities. Our values guide us in the way we treat each other, the decisions we make, and the success we achieve. The following are the values guide our work:
- TEAMWORK: Relationships come first.
- EQUITY: There’s infinite value in every human.
- EXCELLENCE: Constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
- DEDICATION: Do more. Do better.
- RESPECT: Meet people where they are.
- REFLECTION: Feelings Matter. Stepping back and exploring possibilities.
Childhaven is a leader in serving children, families, and communities that have experienced trauma and adversity. We are building a continuum of care model that is growing to respond to the changing needs of families by combining our legacy of healing-centered care, with the expertise of community partners. Going forward, we are embarking on a new and ambitious strategic impact plan to further strengthen programs, expand impact, and embrace innovation.
You are a passionate and dedicated individual who shares our vision: To help ensure that all children are safe and healthy; thriving physically, socially emotionally and educationally; and well nurtured by family and by their community. You too are constructively dissatisfied with the status quo.
The Ideal Candidate
- Thrives (and has delivered results) in relational fundraising: The right person may also have a background in business development or consultative sales – and knows that engaging 1-1 with people and making asks is the work they were born to do! This is a person who loves sharing stories about the good things people are doing and presenting opportunities for investment – and isn’t afraid of failure.
- Takes risks and is persistent: This person just keeps going at the goal, despite roadblocks and rejections, and can keep others moving towards the goal as well. This person has encountered plenty of rejection, and is constantly thinking about what new strategies to try out in their next approach, or how to gently plow through resistance.
- Is an action-obsessed strategic organizer: Rather than being too focused on all the details, they outline the strategy and work the process for each prospect or opportunities, from initial preparation and phone call to the final follow-through. This person is methodical without letting process slow them down.
- Loves learning and growing: This is someone who takes on each new opportunity knowing they bring both their expertise and a beginner’s mind. This person might regularly engage a coach to help them sharpen their skills and is always open to new ways of doing things.
- Thrives in a team environment: This candidate understands that they are better for being part of a larger team and seeks out opportunities to engage others around strategy and support. This person is a cheerleader for others on the team and intentional about bringing all the benefits of team members to the table.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking the right Major Gifts Officer to join our team at an exciting point in our evolution as a fundraising team. This role is primarily focused on sales – that is, getting out and talking to prospects about the IMPACT of Childhaven and generating results from those conversations. This is the farthest thing from a desk job! In fact, we want someone in this role who feels like their seat’s always on fire – they HAVE to be out of the office as much as possible!
Stationed in our Burien location, this position reports to the Sr. Director of Development – Individual Giving. This position will include some nights and weekends.
- The MGO is responsible for a sales portfolio and for delivering on an annual fundraising goal.
Owner of a Sales Portfolio
- Identify and prioritize high-level prospects.
- Own relationship management and strategy for all prospects in portfolio:
- Prospect research and strategy.
- Prospect predisposition planning.
- Prospect visit strategy and planning, includeing engaging other members of the team as needed.
- Visiting prospects and making asks.
- Managing prospect follow-up activities, coordinating with the team as needed.
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goal.
Contributing Member of the Team
- Participate in team selling for fundraising opportunities as needed.
- Participate in – and seek out – opportunities to learn about the projects and communities served by Childhaven.
- Build relationships with organizational leadership.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited institution, OR equivalent experience.
- Previous experience working in a nonprofit setting.
- Previous experience working in development, fundraising, and/or sales.
- Previous experience working with a CRM (Raiser's Edge is a plus).
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Reliable form of transportation with valid driver license in order to get to donor meetings.
- Demonstrate superior customer service skills.
- Able to communicate effectively in-person and digitally.
- Strong skills in decision-making and self-advocacy (requesting assistance from staff when necessary).
- Able to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Able to work independently and concurrently with different tasks.
- Able to work effectively with diverse clients and agency staff; be aware of other needs and advocate for safety.
- Be in acceptance of a variety of lifestyles, behaviors, and cultural/spiritual differences.
- Comply with all Childhaven policies and procedures.
- Commit to the Vision, Values, and Mission of Childhaven.
We are dedicated to recruiting candidates who reflect the diversity and lived experiences of the communities we serve. Multilingual and multicultural candidates are encouraged to apply!
Childhaven has committed to equitable compensation practices, including pre-determining what roles require and the qualities needed from the individual that will fill the role. To achieve this, Childhaven uses a grade and step approach to determine the compensation of each team member.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, Respect, and Reflection. Here’s a bit of what we offer our staff:
- We believe in a fully transparent hiring process.
- We offer a comprehensive Benefits Package including Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account (FSA), healthcare reimbursement account, and 403(b) savings program. A full listing of benefits is available.
- Opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and educational topics, advocacy, and more.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and our antiracism council, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
Childhaven values organizational culture and professional development. Team members at Childhaven can develop skills and knowledge through the following:
- Project work groups
- Clinical and/or reflective supervision
- Community advocacy and engagement
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Racial Equity Council (DIREC)
***HOW TO APPLY***
Please apply through our website. If you require an accommodation to participate in the application or selection process, please let us know.
This position will be open until filled; applicants are encouraged to apply. In addition to completing the application online, please attach a resume and cover letter when prompted.
Childhaven would like to get an accurate understanding of each applicant’s experience and interest.