The McCook County Equalization Office is looking for a full-time Staff Appraiser.
As County Staff Appraiser, you’ll perform a variety of duties including:
- Independently perform technical and professional appraisal work to establish real property values for tax assessment purposes.
- Identify and map properties to be appraised using various sources including legal descriptions, building permits and property appraisal records, and on-site property inspections.
- Calculate and record real estate values using schedules for residential, agricultural, and commercial appraisals.
- Analyze sales and market value trends of agricultural property to establish rates and guidelines for the valuations of agricultural land and buildings for tax purposes.
- Answer off and on-site inquiries by phone, email, and letter or in person to provide information concerning appraisals or to respond to questions regarding aspects of the real estate tax process.
- Assist the Director with the appeals by conducting physical inspections, comparative sales analysis, writing reports, attending meetings, and creating presentations.
- And more!
To be qualified for this position, you’ll need
- High School Diploma or GED plus clerical and math courses. Additional education or real estate experience and/or construction experience preferred.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with safe driving record and be able to drive to various County sites.
- Able to receive State Appraiser Certification within the first year of employment. Continued education is required to maintain employment.
- Prefer previous construction experience and a knowledge of appraisal methods and laws affecting the appraisal of land, building and personal property
We’re looking for someone who is detail oriented and can work independently; is able to communicate with the public; has basic computer skills; is able to perform field inspections for property assessment; and is able to perform math calculations and interpret blueprints, maps, and legal descriptions.
We offer outstanding benefits including health insurance and participation in the South Dakota Retirement Plan.
Apply on-line. Applications accepted until the position is filled.