Sioux Falls Area Humane Society has a new opportunity to add an additional Veterinarian (FT, PT or PRN hours available) to our team due to growing our services! Hours will be a varied schedule on a rotation with shifts being either 8am-5pm & 9am-6pm. The Veterinarian will be responsible for the medical health and well-being of sheltered animals and ensuring a high level of professional ethics of shelter medicine practice. The Veterinarian performs medical care related to shelter animals, implementing practices and protocols necessary in collaboration with Veterinary Technicians and Kennel staff.
Animal Medical Oversight
- Ensure sound veterinary medical practices in accordance with the South Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and South Dakota law. Work collaboratively with Kennel staff and Customer Service staff on decisions regarding disease control, sanitation and medical program procedures.
- Respond to medical concerns of shelter staff and concerns from adopters and outside veterinarians. Perform routine veterinary services (animal health checks, surgery, medication dispensing, follow up and recordkeeping). Perform spay/neuter surgeries and provide post-op care as necessary.
- Educate the public and staff members regarding potential zoonotic diseases and safety concerns associated with domestic animals; Monitor animals placed on rabies quarantines.
Administration and Supervision
- Maintain involvement in local, state and national veterinary associations. Maintain relationships with the local veterinary community.
- Oversee Veterinary Technicians in the care of animals, ordering of equipment and supplies, and maintaining records regarding controlled substances.
- Train staff in euthanasia protocols and physical examinations as needed. Prepare medical program reports.
- Ensure Veterinary Department section of the Operations Manual is updated annually as needed
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must have a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from an accredited university with transcripts.
- Must be licensed in the State of South Dakota.
- Must have a current and valid DEA license.
- Prefer a minimum of three years practice experience in a small animal clinic/shelter.
- Current malpractice insurance (PLIT)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Proven supervisory and customer service skills.
- Technical aptitude and competency in breed recognition, disease recognition, euthanasia, kennel maintenance, spay/neuter, safety knowledge and hazard identification.
- Must have good communication skills with people, both verbal and written.
- Must have and maintain valid driver’s license with good driving record.
SF Area Humane Society offers excellent compensation and some benefits based on PT/FT status including a fun, engaging work environment. If interested, join our team today, make a difference and apply with us! Please upload/attach resume to your application for review.