BLT (www.bltoffice.com) is a vertically-integrated developer and operator of both multifamily and commercial properties. In the last 10 years, BLT has constructed over 4,700 apartment units including 10 buildings (3,000 units) at Harbor Point in Stamford (www.harborpt.com) where they are the master developer, 1,100 units at the Beacon in Jersey City (www.thebeaconjc.com/), 470 units in Danbury (www.abbeywoodsct.com/) and 132 units in Norwalk (www.oneglover.com). BLT currently has more than 900 units under construction in Stamford and Norwalk with a robust pipeline of future projects. In addition to their multifamily properties, BLT is the largest commercial landlord in Stamford and Norwalk, CT and has invested in, developed, owned and managed more than 25 million square feet of commercial, hotel and residential properties across 26 states. BLT is also the largest franchisee of Sotheby’s residential real estate brokerage, with 28 offices and 1,000 real estate agents.
Job Title: Facility Technician III (HVAC Background)
Performs support for general building operations and needs. Performs mechanical work required for installation, operation and maintenance of equipment, systems and facilities. Performs Operations & Maintenance (O&M) mechanical inspection and maintenance on equipment utilizing results oriented strategies to ensure continuing operation. Uses experience and technical skills with preventive maintenance and system operations to determine service requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs mechanical work required for installation and maintenance of equipment, systems and facilities in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operation manuals and manufacturers specifications.
- Performs re-lamping and/or repairs of light fixtures and components both indoor and outdoor.
- Performs daily operation, inspects, maintains, repairs or assists in the repairs of the buildings Energy Management System & Building Automated System, Fire Safety System, and Lighting Systems when required. Must also stay educated on the operation of these systems either through manuals and or service representative training.
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on all air and water distribution system equipment including air handlers, ductwork, fans and motors, dampers, variable air volume systems and their components, mechanical cooling/chilled water system, condenser water system, heating and hot water systems, pumps, clocks, potable and domestic water system, humidification, life safety systems, ice storage, supplemental heating and cooling equipment, and sanitary systems and equipment.
- Performs daily operation, inspects, maintains, repairs or assists in the repairs the buildings Energy Management System and Building Automated System, and the Fire Safety System when required. Stays educated on the operation of these systems either through manuals and/or service representative training, when provided.
- Communicate with the owner, owner’s representative, or supervisor on the work performed and present status of the mechanical system.
- Manage and prepare Hazardous waste for shipping program.
- Provides input to client work order tracking system to initiate work orders for unscheduled jobs, develop materials lists for ordering, and may be required to provide technical support for projects.
- Conducts daily/weekly tours of mechanical spaces, tenant/public areas, and building grounds.
- Respond to service calls/tenant request for HVAC, plumbing, lighting, escorts, general carpentry & painting duties, key making, picture hanging, safely move furniture and equipment as needed, and provide support or assistants when needed.
- Stays abreast of changes (safety and code) in the field through seminars and other educational means.
- Responds to emergency situations and traces, troubleshoots and repairs electrical problems.
- Must be a team player committed to working in a quality environment.
- Supervise and direct all outside vendors if needed.
- Completes work in accordance with BLT Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills - Listens to others without interrupting; Maintains confidentiality; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Oral Communication –Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Cost Consciousness - Conserves organizational resources.
Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
Motivation - Measures self against standard of excellence.
Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently.
Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity - Completes work in timely manner; Works quickly.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
Initiative - Asks for and offers help when needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience D-2 or OE 2 License
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) required from four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Basic skills such as Internet searches, use of email systems, electronic manuals, electronic learning, etc.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
- Two or more years hand on experience in the HVAC Trade industry
- Knowledge of local and national mechanical codes are required
- Must conform to all city, state, and federal license and certification requirements
- Must be able to read and work from blueprints and schematic diagrams
- Must be able to use a variety of hand and power tools
- Must be able to work varying shifts, weekends and holidays as needed
- Basic Plumbing skills
- Compressors, air systems and piping skills
- Must be able to respond to emergencies as needed
- Must be able to work off ladders, staging, and power platforms