Company Name: The American Legion, Department of Wisconsin
Job Title: Communications and Marketing Specialist
Location: Portage, WI
Do you want to be a part of an organization that makes a difference?
Are you a creative thinking? Do you think outside the box?
If you answered yes to these questions, then we want you!!
The American Legion is the largest wartime veterans’ service organization with nearly 2 million members in 12,875 posts across the nation. As the nation’s largest wartime veteran’s service organization, Legionnaires and local posts can be found in nearly every community in America. The American Legion was founded on four pillars: Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation, National Security, Americanism, and Children & Youth. Each of these pillars encompasses a variety of programs that benefit our nation's veterans, its service members, their families, the youth of America and the ordinary citizen. For 100 years, veterans have been impacting our nation through The American Legion and we believe it makes a difference.
We are seeking a full-time Communications and Marketing Specialist to be part of a team positively focused on telling The American Legion story of who we are, what we do and why it matters. This high energy, highly motivated individual will be responsible for helping to create awareness and ensuring The American Legion mission is effectively and consistently communicated to our members and external audiences.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to quickly develop a detailed knowledge of The American Legion brand along with understanding its objectives. Strong leadership skills in project management with the ability to be highly proactive and work on multiple projects concurrently. This highly organized individual must have the ability to work independently, have strong social and excellent time management skills.
- Communicate and promote The American Legion, Department of Wisconsin mission
- Provide information about the brand to internal and external stakeholders
- Build brand awareness and loyalty among internal and external audiences.
- Lead in the development of a comprehensive communications plan and implementation of marketing campaigns that promote programs and events
- Promote and execute the comprehensive communication plan
- Programs Coordinator of the Wisconsin American Legion Baseball Program
- Write, edit and produce the Department Newsletter (The Badger Legionnaire)
- Interact with various media outlets to promote The American Legion
- Manage and update Department Website and Social Media
- Coordinate video and photo assets, as well as other media
- Write interesting and effective press releases and prepare information for media kits.
- Assist in developing a website, social media, and communications training
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent required
- Post-secondary education in relevant field preferred
- Non-profit work experience is preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in social media platforms, website management, personal computers and a variety of software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (e.g. Microsoft products) in a networked environment.
- Strong digital photography and videography skills required; prefer experience with photo and video archiving/keyword tagging.
- Significant flexibility in work schedule, including the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Paid time off
- 401k matching
- Fully funded Life Insurance
We Make it Easy
• Applying takes less than 2 minutes. No passwords or accounts to register or sign-in for.
• You are hired directly by the company – MRA does not make hiring decisions.
MRA is a not-for-profit employers association serving over 4,000 companies throughout the upper Midwest. We partner with these companies working directly with their HR department and leadership to hire their talent. We are a direct line to the company, not an agency recruiter.