Company Name: Milwaukee Repertory Theater
Job Title: Director of Community Engagement
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee Repertory Theater is seeking a Director of Community Engagement to lead the strategic development and implementation of The Rep’s engagement strategies that extend the conversations around productions into the greater community, increase awareness of The Rep in the community, promote access to the institution, and demonstrate the value of theater by positioning it at the center of vital civic conversations and meaningful actions. This is a senior level position that reports dually to the Artistic and Executive Directors.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Milwaukee Rep's Mpact initiative, alongside the Education Director.
- Coordinate the meetings and activities of the Mpact Council, a group of community leaders that advises Milwaukee Rep's work in Education and Community Engagement
- Develop and maintain relationships with community leaders and organizations, including Milwaukee Rep's Pillar Partners.
- Execute and develop the Community Engagement plan for Milwaukee Rep, including:
- Community Conversations that bring the city together in conversation on topics related to Milwaukee Rep's season, often including post-show small group dialogues, panels, and online content
- A Professional Training Institute that trains a small ensemble of young artists through masterclasses taught by Rep artists, community-based retreats, and a paid summer performance opportunity
- Audience Engagement programs such as Rep-in-Depth pre-show talks and talkbacks
- Collaborative events in conjunction with community partners and city-wide conversations
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Community Engagement Department.
- Co-lead equity, diversity and inclusion efforts along with GM as part of a coordinated plan developed with Department Heads
- Supervise the Community Engagement Associate as they produce large-scale projects such as Act II and Vets Light Up the Arts
- Maintain a knowledge base of industry best practices and determine if these practices can be adapted to fit the needs of The Rep. Develop and maintain relationships with community engagement practitioners in the regional theater field.
- Serve as advisor, acting as the subject matter expect for the organization in this field, to the Artistic and Executive Directors who are responsible for overall organizational leadership on community engagement.
- Participate in Department Head meetings as a member of Senior Staff.
- Attend Artistic meetings as set by the Artistic Director.
- Maintain the budgets of the Community Engagement Department and the Mpact Fund.
- Work with the Development Department to identify underwriting, sponsorship and promotional opportunities for The Rep's community engagement initiatives and develop funding proposals.
- Work in conjunction with the Marketing Department to engage targeted audiences to increase awareness of The Rep within unrepresented communities.
- Work with Rep staff at all levels to encourage staff advocacy for The Rep, gather information about perceptions of The Rep in our community, and empower Rep staff involvement in community engagement activities.
- Serve as a public representative for The Rep when appropriate and as needed.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and other off-site events as needed, both locally and nationally.
- Any other related duties as mutually agreed.
- Education as is generally found in four years of college or equivalent experience required
- At least two years’ experience specializing in community relations, event programming or education within a cultural institution
- Knowledge of best practices for arts-based collaboration with community partners.
- Ability to make informed decisions on maintaining The Rep's positive image and public perception of The Rep and its programs; disseminate information that maintains that positive image and public perception
- Knowledge of best practices for equitable working environments
- Ability to facilitate conversations between departments to achieve common goals
- Ability to effectively plan and delegate the work of others
- Ability to plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others
- Ability to maintain deadlines, oversee event planning, coordination and completion
- Excellent communication skills including ability to adjust communication styles according to audience with community leaders, organizations and businesses and public officials
- Ability to use tact and good judgment
- Excellent written and oral skills. Ability to compose logical and orderly proposals and informational pieces for executive management and community groups
- Ability to solve practical problems and think on your feet
- Knowledge of a computer, copy machine, and telephone systems. Knowledgeable in the use of computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Ability to work independently and function with little supervision
- Ability to maintain a valid driver’s license. Access to a car is preferred, but not required
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as necessary
- Ability to pass a background check in compliance with local and/or federal employment laws
Compensation, Schedule, and Benefits: Milwaukee Repertory Theater employees receive a comprehensive compensation package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a paid time off package, and 403(b) retirement plan.
About Milwaukee Repertory Theater: The Rep ignites positive change in the cultural, social, and economic vitality of its community by creating world-class theater experiences that entertain, provoke, and inspire meaningful dialogue among an audience representative of Milwaukee’s rich diversity. Producing over 600 performances in four distinct venues every season requires a team of dedicated, passionate and skilled people. Whether it be a 30+ year veteran employee or one who’s never experienced a Milwaukee winter before, everyone shares a common sense of purpose and determination that enables us to bring world-class theater to the stage. Season after season, our accomplished team never ceases to amaze! To read more about Milwaukee Repertory Theater, please visit: www.MilwaukeeRep.com
Make it Easy
• Applying takes less than 2 minutes. No passwords or accounts to register or sign-in for.
• You are hired directly by the company – MRA does not make hiring decisions.
MRA is a not-for-profit employers association serving over 4,000 companies throughout the upper Midwest. We partner with these companies working directly with their HR department and leadership to hire their talent. We are a direct line to the company, not an agency recruiter.