Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Personal Days
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Balfour Beatty Infrastructure is seeking a Project Accountant to join the Baltimore, Maryland team. This position is fully responsible for the accounts payable and project billing process for assigned projects in the DMV area.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
- Sort and distribute incoming mail (as a back up only)
- Process 3 way P.O. matching invoices, up to 100 plus line items
- Prioritize invoices according to cash discount potential and payment terms
- Process check requests
- Audit and process credit card bills (back up)
- Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
- 1099 maintenance
- Respond to all vendor inquiries
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies
- Assist in month end closing
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Effectively communicate with the appropriate finance or operations personnel regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Prepare final invoice package containing draft and final invoices for all billable projects, including all applicable backup for approval by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing; communicate with the Accounting Supervisor, as to your observations and actions taken.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period.
- Maintain the billing folders for all projects, with all the appropriate documents, including expenses, consultant invoices, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Work with the cash receipts team member to reconcile variances that occur in the application of cash.
- Generate and distribute bi-monthly receivables reports and monthly profitability reports.
- Request new projects as needed, make transfers of employee billable hours and/or expenses, and open and close time classes in company system.
- Review weekly time sheets, along with the accounting group.Monthly analyze the P & L accounts monthly, as assigned by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Prepare balance sheet account reconcilements, as directed by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Recommend and implement agreed process improvements to the billing and payments cycle.
- Prepare special project analyses applicable finance and operations personnel.
- Prepare local property and business tax returns (if requested)
- Provide year-end support of auditor requirements, which may include research and reconcilement.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed by the Controller or his/her designee.
- Communicate and coordinate with the local offices.
- Bachelor’s Degree or some college courses in accounting or business preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets and accounting software.
- More than 5 years of billing, receivables, and payables with at least 2-3 years in A/E environment.
- Prefer JDE experience
- A thorough knowledge of standard contract terms, including hourly, lumps sum, not-to-exceed and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, and report problems to the Accounting Services Manager, as necessary.
- Strong service orientation.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.