McGough is a respected partner that brings six generations of experience to high profile, unique and complex construction projects. We take great pride in our people and their extraordinary expertise in planning, development, construction and facility management. McGough employee tenure reflects the commitment and pride we share in our work. Ask anyone who knows us - the caliber of our people sets us apart.
The Desktop Engineer is responsible for client devices used by the employees and field personnel within McGough Construction. This includes management of the PC and laptop computer lifecycle. This person will be responsible for inventory management of devices, the build process and configuration of the Operating System and application software, hardware, and printers. This person will utilize the management tools to ensure the client environment is configured and running in an optimal manner. This person will be responsible to assess problem tickets from the Service Center to concentrate on resolving problems related to the client devices. Assisting the Service Center with customer support issues surrounding hardware and installed software will be expected.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience of three or more years in Information Technology related role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interface with customers and communicate technical solutions in a non-technical language
- Good understanding of the client environment including various manufacturers devices, (PC’s, Laptops, docking stations and virtual devices)
- Good understanding of Microsoft technologies, Windows Operating Systems, Office 365 productivity tools, and other tools provided by Microsoft
- Ability to work with other members of the Technology staff and be able to share knowledge transfer
- Ability to work with vendors and manage the relationship between McGough and the vendor for product knowledge, pricing and availability
- Good understanding of patch management for Microsoft and other products
- Background with automated build and software deployment helpful
- Understanding and experience with Microsoft System Center or related technology
Office and Travel:
Travel between office sites in the Twin Cities may be necessary to support the customers in different metro office locations, so a good, reliable vehicle is required. Out of state travel may be necessary to satellite office locations. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- System Configuration and Installation
- Evaluate and recommend standard hardware configurations for company devices
- Client hardware configuration setup and software installation preparation
- Windows OS setup and configuration
- Utilize tools to automate and standardize desktop configuration and management
- Coordinate patch management with automated tool
- Microsoft, Java, Adobe and other standardized applications
- Standardize business unit software application, configuration and documentation
- Assist with Service Desk application in managing customer assistance requests
- Efficiently evaluate and resolve client side software and hardware issues
- Provide leadership in resolving Severity 2 and 3 issues
- Appropriately involve other team members to assist with resolution of complex or business critical problems
- Effectively and respectfully communicate with non-technical terms to customers
- Understand and help to manage the print environment including office, jobsite and large format print solutions
- Mentor other team members in specific knowledge of processes and applications
- Knowledge transfer to other team members
- Provide process documentation related to systems and applications
- Identify and establish key metrics for the client side environment
The physical requirements listed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the ability to lift PC’s, laptops, monitors and other technology related equipment. Sitting or standing for long periods of time may be necessary for the configuration of systems.
Occasionally, employee will be required to visit construction jobsites which may expose the employee to dirt, dust, uneven surfaces, outdoor weather conditions and extreme temperatures. During these visits, safety gear must be worn including hard hat and safety vest.