BLT (www.bltoffice.com) is a vertically-integrated developer and operator of both multifamily and commercial properties. In the last 10 years, BLT has constructed over 4,700 apartment units including 10 buildings (3,000 units) at Harbor Point in Stamford (www.harborpt.com) where they are the master developer, 1,100 units at the Beacon in Jersey City (www.thebeaconjc.com/), 470 units in Danbury (www.abbeywoodsct.com/) and 132 units in Norwalk (www.oneglover.com). BLT currently has more than 900 units under construction in Stamford and Norwalk with a robust pipeline of future projects. In addition to their multifamily properties, BLT is the largest commercial landlord in Stamford and Norwalk, CT and has invested in, developed, owned and managed more than 25 million square feet of commercial, hotel and residential properties across 26 states. BLT is also the largest franchisee of Sotheby’s residential real estate brokerage, with 28 offices and 1,000 real estate agents.
The Chief Estimator will lead and coordinate the preparation of all budget estimates and all hard bid estimates; lead the bid team in the development of bid strategies and general condition estimates; provide support services as required by the Operations department during the preconstruction and construction phases; and assist the Business Development Department in obtaining future work. This position reviews the pricing and scope sheets prepared by the Estimators so that the Chief Estimator is the single point of responsibility for the estimate from start to finish. This individual will add value to the Senior Management Team as someone who can provide analysis of and input into which opportunities will be pursued based on BLT s competitive advantage and the development of a strategic approach necessary to optimize each opportunity.
Work with Estimators to develop a plan for each project and monitors progress to achieve stated goals:
- Review subcontractor lists with the Estimator and monitors progress of Estimator's bid solicitation;
- Ensure Estimators are visiting jobsites and engaging the subcontractor base; reviews site tour notes;
- Oversee administrative aspects of bids, i.e. bid forms, bond and insurance issues; review of bids and budgets; follows up with clients after bids;
- Compile bid qualifications with input from Counsel and Senior Management and reviews final bid or budge.
- Monitor subcontractors regarding their performance and bonding capabilities.
Develop a bid day summary to include all required work:
- Review estimate detail prior to bid day;
- Coordinate and ensures adequate subcontractor coverage on bid day;
- Manage bid day submittals and delivery;
- Manage bid day/ bid room activities.
Schedule and conduct post construction meetings to verify and expand upon cost information from the field.
Assist in marketing and business development, as required:
- Coordinate technical proposal requirements with Marketing department;
- Attend trade shows;
- Meet with prospective clients;
- Follow up on leads for new business opportunities.
Monitor economic and business market conditions, through newspapers and periodically attending seminars, and advise senior management as to changes in conditions that affect bidding or negotiating.
- BS/BA Degree and 10+ years of construction estimating experience.
- Advanced management or technical training preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of corporate objectives impacting estimating, estimating strategies and techniques and construction contracts required.
- Proven skills in spacial concepts and Math with strong computer skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public