For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our industrial and commercial customers. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors Inc. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in Arden Hills and Shakopee, MN, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY.
We are seeking to fill the role of Human Resources Generalist with an innovative, self-directed HR professional who thrives on multi-tasking while maintaining high attention to detail. The successful candidate will become a partner who takes a positive and proactive approach to assisting the leaders and employees in all business areas, as well as HR related projects. This is an exciting position for someone with previous HR experience in a complex business environment that is interested in all facets of Human Resources and values an outstanding company culture.
The HR Generalist will provide support, consultation and guidance as it relates to all HR processes including job descriptions, interviewing, hiring, general HR practices, processes, policies and compliance. Will be responsible to lead and support efforts for workforce development, and continually partner with management to build positive employee outcomes. Help shape an outstanding work environment by staying abreast of current trends and anticipating impact on internal practices. Must be able to operate with self-initiative and be driven to produce quality and timely outcomes on strategic items and projects.
Education / Experience Required:
- Bachelors’ Degree in Human Resources or related field of study and two years of work as a HR Generalist, or six years of progressively responsible experience in Human Resources.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with full cycle recruitment and employee onboarding.
- Demonstrated success in workforce development and community outreach.
- Experience in supporting Affirmative Action Plans to ensure compliance.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, Recruitment Management Software and Human Resources Management Systems.
- Valid State Driver’s license and ability to travel to Jamar locations as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts professionally with to employees, department leaders and job applicants in accordance with policy, practice and applicable laws. Provides guidance, advice and education. Always maintains high level of confidentiality.
- Ensures department job description are accurate and up to date prior to posting. Will assist with updates as needed to meet standards.
- Establish and maintain community outreach connections as needed to adhere to our diversity goals.
- Responsible for preparation of job postings, advertisements, applicant review and interviews.
- Supports the selection process to ensure obligations and compliance are met.
- Provides direction and support for pre-employment processing, paperwork and on-boarding.
- Assists with EEO/AA documentation and other reporting related to federal and state contracting requirements, management of documentation posted on employee job sites.
- Responsible for processing Administrative timecards and management of time off (PTO/ Sick) requests.
- Assist with the coordination of FMLA and other benefit related paperwork and information.
- Leads the efforts and committee with ongoing company wellness initiatives and communication to meet program initiatives.
- Coordinates volunteer and staff training events, internships, Jamar programs and recommends resources as needed.
- Create and monitor internal data audits, and controls personnel files, recruitment, employee relations records, and other such documentation for completeness, accuracy and consistency.
- Keeps up on current issues and matters in the organization related to HR department.
- Provides assistance in monitoring employee performance appraisal process.
- Assists HR Manager with, or leads other project work related to company initiatives, policy, compliance, training, compensation, employee performance and discipline.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to be self-directed and seek out information to keep projects or processes on track.
- Seek full understanding of timelines in order to prioritize work.
- Excellent record keeping skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Maintains security and privacy when working with highly confidential information.
- Strong understanding of state and federal requirements and regulations.
- Ability to proactively assess situations and use good judgment to resolve issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with associates.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings. Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safely Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed boots
- Reflective vest
- Hearing protection (designated areas)