McGough is a respected partner that brings six generations of experience to high profile, unique and complex construction projects. We take great pride in our people and their extraordinary expertise in planning, development, construction and facility management. McGough employee tenure reflects the commitment and pride we share in our work. Ask anyone who knows us - the caliber of our people sets us apart.
McGough’s Controller leads the accounting and payroll functions with a focus on producing accurate and timely financial reports and implementing policies and procedures that will assist the company in growing value. The Controller will report directly to the CFO and will oversee the General Accounting, Project Accounting, and Accounts Payable functions of McGough’s Construction business along with the Payroll function for the total company. This position requires an in-depth knowledge of the organization’s financial systems and an ability to collaborate with other members of the team to ensure assigned duties are completed efficiently and on time.
The successful candidate must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), with a demonstrated understanding of accounting in the construction industry. The Controller will be a key member of the management team and must embrace McGough’s culture of partnership and collaboration. Other position requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business
- 10+ years of Accounting/Finance experience with 4-5 years public accounting
- 5+ years construction industry experience at an Accounting Manager level or higher
- Staff supervision experience with the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results
- Corporate and state income tax experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication, along with the ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Embodies personal integrity and keeps confidences
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, especially with Excel
Office and Travel:
Minimal travel may be involved
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Assist in the transition to and implementation of the new ERP system in 2019
- Close and distribute monthly financial statements on a timely basis
- Prepare information for and coordinate an effective monthly financial review process
- Coordinate with the audit firm and manage the annual audit for the Construction entities
- Oversee the annual audit of the 401k Plan
- Review bank compliance reporting and monthly borrowing base calculations
- Manage leadership of the accounting, project accounting and payroll teams with a focus on continuous improvement, employee development and team culture
- Work with outside consultants on tax return schedule preparation
- Oversee treasury management activities
- Support FP&A Director with the annual budget process and updates of financial projections
- Review financial data from subcontractors and suppliers as part of pre-qualification process
- Monitor and make recommendations for improvements in company internal controls
- Make recommendations for accounting department process improvements
- Oversee a process to ensure compliance with multi-state sales and use tax filings
- Mentor others, sharing best practices and contributing to their professional development
- View every interaction as an opportunity to add value and enhance relationships
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned
The physical requirements listed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position involves sitting for extended periods of time at employee’s work station and during meetings as well as while traveling, either by plane or car. Employee needs to be able to lift up to 20 pounds as frequently as needed to move objects; dexterity to write and manipulate computer keyboard and mouse; ability to hear and speak clearly; and ability to distinguish between colors on graphs and charts.
Occasionally, employee will be required to visit construction jobsites which may expose the employee to dirt, dust, uneven surfaces, outdoor weather conditions and extreme temperatures.