Leopardo is one of the nation’s largest and most respected construction firms, building world-class facilities with innovative, environmentally-friendly processes. We are considered “best in class” by our clients and peers, and the media consistently ranks us among the top builders in the United States. For more than three decades, Leopardo has been recognized for consistently performing at the very top of the industry. Our reputation for outstanding customer service stems from our mission to passionately pursue construction excellence. Our long-standing commitment to continuous improvement comes with a healthy obsession with quality. This approach transforms our operations and customer service, helping us become the construction provider of choice in all our specialized markets: healthcare, interiors, retail, cinema, hospitality, office, industrial, residential and municipal.
Summary: The VDC Technologist I is responsible for providing deliverables and analysis that support the Quality Control Engineer and MEP Coordinator on projects. Applies virtual design & construction technology that adds or creates value for the client. Will employ knowledge of tools such as Revit, Navisworks and techniques such as reality capture (e.g laser scanning). The VDC Technologist will have standard deliverables for each category of project.
Should the individual decide to pursue a career path aimed at the Construction Operations side of the business, this position will focus on activities preparing for advancement into the roles of Quality Control Engineer or MEP Coordinator. The individual will be expected to perform the duties of one of these two roles in addition to VDC technology responsibilities. The QC Engineer and the MEP Coordinator collaborate closely and the VDC Technologist I should expect this type of team-based interactions regularly.
Should the individual decide to pursue a career path aimed at the Planning and Preconstruction side of the business, this position will focus on activities preparing for advancement into the role of VDC Technologist II. These activities leverage the individual’s experience on the Construction Operations side of the business to help the Quality, Lean and VDC team members innovate and improve the pursuit, planning and client engagement efforts at front end of projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Virtual Design & Construction
- Understand and execute technology solutions prescribed in the Leopardo Project Delivery Plan.
- Set up file exchange solution for the project’s coordination efforts.
- Retrieve, organize, process and distribute design intent models from the design team.
- Complete any modeling assignments necessary to progress through the coordination process.
- Collect model updates from subcontractors and self-perform groups as required.
- Set up and maintain the file set for the project in Navisworks (or equivalent software).
- Participate in and, on occasion, administer coordination meetings.
- Complete set up of Virtual Reality experiences to facilitate decision making with the owner.
- Run weekly clash tests and prepare remedy assignments for respective subs and self-perform team members.
- Document and track issues identified during the coordination meetings.
- Prepare, distribute and track sign-off sheets and published federated models.
- Review shop drawings against project specific Quality checklists and the design documents before distribution to final approvers
- Ensure field staff has sign-off models in useable condition from their mobile devices.
- Complete laser scanning operations per the guidance of the senior VDC personnel assigned to the project.
- Provide feedback and critique of Leopardo Virtual Design & Construction Standard Operating Procedures to the Director of VDC.
- Evaluate & review the complexity of the MEP design from a construction cost and maintenance perspective.
- Review the design for compatibility with local building codes.
- Determine the project’s MEP scope, the materials to be utilized, and manpower required per phase.
Examine MEP/FP shop drawings for completeness.
- Lead the project team in MEP Commissioning.
- Inspect field construction, as required. Confirm uniform, high-quality workmanship is maintained.
- Delivers all appropriate responsibilities from the Quality Management and QA/QC Plans.
- Perform internal/external audits to ensure QC requirements are implemented and/or maintained.
- Ensure adequate corrective measures are implemented in cases of noncompliance
- Act as liaison between Owner, regulatory agencies, subcontractors and/or internal departments on quality related matters as required.
Resourceful, Possess Intuition
Two - Way Communication
Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Adaptability and Change Leadership
Supervisory Requirements: None.
Education / Experience Requirements:
Required Bachelor’s degree (preferably in mechanical, electrical civil or industrial engineering; or construction management).
5+ year experience as a BIM or VDC Coordinator or technician; industry experience.
Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction (technology, equipment, methods), schedule, cost, safety, and quality.
Strong grasp of mechanical and electrical engineering concepts.
Proficient computer skills and knowledge (e.g., MS Office Suite, Navisworks Works, PlanGrid, Revit).
Thorough working knowledge of regulatory agency quality control/assurance activities.
Experience on multiple building types and contract deliveries.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: Valid driver’s license is a necessity. Autodesk certifications strongly preferred.
Physical Demands: Representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Work is performed in both office and outdoor settings. Outdoor work may require the inspection of various construction sites, land use developments, or occupied facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds. The employee must frequently lift and / or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to drive.
Work Environment: Representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
This job operates in a controlled indoor environment where the noise level is usually quiet. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Also, on a project site the environment is occasionally loud.
Limitation and Disclaimer: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and / or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Employment-at-Will: This document does not create an employment contract, either express or implied. All employment is employment-at-will.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision program
- Life Insurance
- Short-term disability
- Long-term disability
- Long Term Care
- IRS 125 Plan
- PTO and paid holidays
- Profit sharing plan
- 401k plan
- 529 college savings plan
- Complimentary chair massages
- Annual service and special recognition awards
- Friday hours
- Professional training and development
- Annual employee team-building and training retreats
- Bereavement time off
- Company-paid annual employee golf outing
- Company-issued, network accessible cell phones
- Local health club and child care discounts
- Various charitable activities