With over 100 years of Electrical Contracting experience, Grand Kahn is one of the finest Electrical Contractors in Chicago. We take pride in the fact that we were Chicago’s first registered Electrical Contractor. We are committed to providing the same customer assurance and satisfaction, as we have since 1907. Our experience allows us to undertake any project regardless of size or complexity.
Summary: As a member of the Grand Kahn Electric team, the role is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations for all budgeting, estimating, project management and project administration activities within a market sector. The position will assist in developing and implementing corporate policies and procedures to achieve established corporate goals and support the corporate mission. The role will lead, manage, and coordinate all phases of a large and/or multiple projects from business development support, preconstruction, estimating, through construction execution and closeout by leading and developing a team of project managers, project engineers, KDP and field electricians.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide operations oversight and direction in: client maintenance, procedural and process issues, financial issues and reporting processes, subcontractor performance issues, manpower issues and analysis, constructability and technical issues, legal and liability issues, risk analysis and mitigation, and special issues as they arise.
- Develop comprehensive, accurate and competitive conceptual estimates and budgets. Execute hard bid win strategies balancing the pursuit, profitability and client relations.
- Conduct a thorough review and analysis of all bid documents and the project site. Schedule job site walkthroughs with key subcontractors/vendors, and clients, as required Monitor work and evaluate results to ensure that departmental and Company objectives and operating requirements are met and are in line with the Company strategy.
- Prepare detailed estimates (e.g., initial, schematic design stage, design development stage, and construction document stage) including creating quantity takeoffs, applying project-specific unit pricing, and value-added design solutions.
- Understand, review and execute the bid requirements within the established deadlines for hard bid, competitive bid, conceptual, schematic, design development and Guaranteed Maximum Price estimates. Set fee goals when required.
- Communicate, engage and interact with all levels at Grand Kahn Electric and Leopardo.
- Assist with the development of Operations Plan to achieve the Company’s strategic vision and mitigate key elements of the Company's risk profile.
- Assist with the implementation of short and long-term strategic objectives.
- Ensure the accurate completion and timely submission of invoices.
- On occasion assist with preconstruction efforts as required; partner with Leopardo preconstruction/estimating teams to develop estimates and schedules, assist with bid preparation, and communicate with subcontractors during the budgeting phase.
- Perform project review with project team(s) to include: project schedule, procurement, quality, safety, administration, and profitability. Partner with Leopardo as needed.
- Perform as a senior project manager and run work as required: future state should not be running work but they have special clients at this time.
- Attend required meetings; assist the project team(s) with resolution of specific matters and requests, and provide job site coverage as required.
- Attract, retain and motivate staff.
- Mentor and develop project team(s), manage work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
- Champion client intimacy; build, strengthen and maintain client relationships. Guide others in building client relationships through a deeper understanding of the clients’ industry, the economics of their business and the strategic and operational challenges they face.
- Assist in maintaining highly productive relationships and partnerships with Leopardo, Architects, Design firms, Real estate brokers and developers, Owner’s representatives and Strategic Electric Partners.
- Participate in cross-functional teams outside of direct span of control within the main Company divisions (e.g., Total Quality Management, Procurement, Operations, Quality and Training).
- Participate in and nurture broad networks of alliances with others to exchange knowledge and information in support of change initiatives.
- Take an active role in industry associations, and actively network and promote Grand Kahn and Leopardo.
Two - Way Communication
Critical Thinking and Decision Making
Adaptability and Change Leadership
Supervisory Requirements: This position is responsible for the direct supervision of the (in-house) project team (e.g., project managers, project engineers and project assistants).
Education / Experience Requirements:
Required Bachelor’s degree (preferably in construction management or engineering) or equivalent combination of education and experience
Strong Estimating Skills in electrical construction
Strong preference with proficiency in Accubid Estimating or ConEst software
At least 10 years of experience in progressively responsible project management positions, and preconstruction estimating, in a high growth organization. Business development is a plus.
Relevant market experience required; Professional Engineer License a plus
Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Asta or Primavera scheduling a plus
Experience in Lean construction a plus
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: LEED designation a plus. Valid driver’s license is a necessity.
Physical Demands: Work is performed mostly in office settings. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various construction sites, land use developments, or occupied facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: This job operates in a controlled indoor environment where the noise level is usually quiet. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. Also, on a project site the environment is occasionally loud.
Limitation and Disclaimer: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and / or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Employment-at-Will: This document does not create an employment contract, either express or implied. All employment is employment-at-will.