COMPANY SUMMARY: A third generation family-owned business, Shapiro & Duncan has been serving customers in DC, Maryland and Virginia since 1976. The company is known for their award-winning company culture and complex commercial, government and institutional design-build projects that require first-rate performance, work quality and customer service. We specialize in full service mechanical solutions which include engineering, coordination, prefabrication assembly, construction, service and maintenance.
JOB SUMMARY: The Welder works with the rest of the Construction Department on commercial projects, and is responsible for reviewing drawings, doing lay-out, and assembling pipes accurately and according to production standards, quality requirements, safety requirements, code, design, and specifications. As a full-time member of our field workforce, the Welder will travel to different job sites, going where work is needed in the greater Metropolitan Washington area.
- 3 of more years of commercial construction and welding experience.
- Able to work Monday-Friday with occasional overtime during afternoons, evenings and weekends as needed. Hours may involve start times as early as 5:00 a.m.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including ability to work with diverse sets of team members and resolve conflict professionally with the assistance of management.
- Interface effectively, ethically and professionally with co-workers and clients and subcontractors.
- Communicate effectively in English (aural, verbal, and written).
- Able to sit, stand, bend, walk, climb, and remain in static positions for duration of shift. This includes use of ladders, potential exposure to confined spaces and heights.
- Able to lift five to fifty pounds (5-50 lbs.) without assistance. NOTE: Additional weight may be required, but will be with assistance.
- Possess current, valid driver’s license (not under suspension or limitation) to go to job site in DC, VA, and MD.
- Able to withstand temperature extremes and exposure to elements (rain, snow, etc).
- Able to withstand exposure to dust, fumes, and other particulates. NOTE: Respiratory protection is available.
- Welder Certification that meets the requirements of Section IX of the ASME Code. NOTE: All candidates will be tested; certification will be a condition of employment.
- Willing and able to learn new tasks.
- Read and comprehend drawings and diagrams, blueprints, sketches, fabrication/spool drawings, CADD drawings and submittals.
- Based on drawing and diagrams, able to lay-out work.
- Basic arithmetic and geometric skills, including calculating offsets, including for miter pipe and/or fittings.
- Able to read and understand spool drawings, to properly tag piping.
- Able to comply with federal, state, local and project-based safety specifications, including use of specialized Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and processes.
- Work with Foreman and apprentices on all piping aspects of job.
- Use drawings, diagrams, etc., to complete tasks.
- Assist with coordination of any Pre-Fabrication layout or installation.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and county codes.
- Assist with rigging of material. NOTE: Will require rigging training.
- Comply with all OSHA, EM 385 regulations and Shapiro & Duncan Safety Program.
- Assist in maintaining rental and company-owned welding equipment.
- Maintain equipment (tips, nozzles, grinding wheels, etc.); notify foreman when stock is low.
- Layout work ahead of welders, and prepare all pipe and fittings for welding.
- Work alongside welder in holding and positioning pipe/fittings to be welded.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned by supervision.
Click here to see a list of our company benefits: https://www.shapiroandduncan.com/careers-benefits/