For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are seeking to fill the role of Mechanical Engineer with an innovative, self-directed individual looking to work with the leading design/build mechanical contractor in the region. The successful candidate has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic, and will lead in the engineering design team with a positive and proactive approach. We are looking for applicants who want to make an impact and develop their talents, with the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge supporting both our commercial and other construction sectors. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with proven experience who is interested in growing their career with Jamar. Please view our project experience at www.jamarcompany.com.
The Mechanical Engineer will perform engineering calculations and prepare detailed mechanical engineering drawings for HVAC and Plumbing design for buildings primarily within the Commercial market sectors. This position will work under the direction of a Department Manager and in collaboration with the project team. Responsible for oversight of the design team; responsible for computer applications, CAD Design techniques and prepares layouts for new products.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license.
- Bachelor's Degree in Architectural OR Mechanical Engineering OR equivalent from an ABET accredited college or university.
- Minimum three years professional experience in mechanical design.
- Experience with mechanical design of HVAC and plumbing building systems on complex projects.
- Experience in 3D modeling/imaging tools, design software (AutoCAD)
- Familiarity with Autodesk Revit software functionality for Building Information Modeling (BIM); working knowledge is a plus.
- Experience with Blue Beam and Microsoft Office software.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in developing project objectives, goals and documentation policies.
- Prepare engineering design load and calculations, mechanical (HVAC/Plumbing) system layouts, and design documentation for all phases; read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics and computer-generated reports. Confer with engineers and project managers to produce required system layouts, implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost and maintenance requirements of HVAC and plumbing systems; specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles; assist drafters in developing the structural design of products, including 3D schematics and CAD models. Provide feedback.
- Coordinating design between Commercial team and customer to include engineering calculations; prepare detailed engineering reports and narratives and oversee drawings production.
- Consult on HVAC and plumbing equipment designs; conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems; recommends design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions and ensure compliance to product specifications.
- Perform energy analysis and apply high-performance design techniques
- Perform on site condition surveys as required
- Process contractor submittals and assist in the construction administration process.
- Manages design team on commercial/industrial mechanical design/build projects.
- Develops understanding of project requirements, goals, design specifications and operational environments to evaluate cost, feasibility and implementation of HVAC and plumbing systems; assists Estimators in submitting bids for engineering/commercial construction projects and prepare proposal/contract documents.
- Solicit new business and provide technical customer service to existing customers.
- Troubleshooting mechanical/plumbing system issues with Project team and owners.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of MS Office (excel, word, power point)
- Ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
- Ability to read and understand technical documents, symbols, and industrial process and apply this knowledge to drawings.
- Ability to analyze and make decisions.
- Effective communication skills – oral, written, and presentation.
- Effective organization skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a team environment; attend and participate in team/department communication meetings.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
- Initiative and self-discipline
- Strong work ethic and time management skills
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team setting
- Ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- Reflective Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
What we offer (benefits)
- Medical, Dental, Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Long-Term Disability
- 401K with Match
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment