Reading Partners VISTA Leader (2019-20)
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers and AmeriCorps service members in under-resourced elementary schools. Our dedicated and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are the heart and soul of our organization, and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, over 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
The VISTA Leader is the face of the VISTA program at Reading Partners. This is an exciting chance to provide training and support to national Reading Partners VISTA members by creating professional development opportunities and leading on internal communications for the VISTA program. As the VISTA Leader, you’ll also drive the recruitment of future VISTA members with support of the AmeriCorps recruitment and admissions team. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career.
What you’ll do & how you’ll do it:
Relationship Management & Training - Provide support for training and professional development of VISTA members and supervisors serving at Reading Partners.
- The VISTA Leader will foster positive VISTA experiences by providing peer support and opportunities for dialogue amongst Reading Partners VISTA members. The VISTA Leader will process and support new VISTA members before pre-service orientation by initiating and maintaining communication throughout the VISTA on-boarding process. Other responsibilities include conducting regular check-ins with VISTA supervisors to ensure VISTA performance goals are being met, ensuring that both VISTA members and supervisors have the resources needed to be successful. Additionally, the VISTA Leader will act as the regional lead for the San Francisco Bay Area, and is responsible for providing support to other VISTA members in the area as well as organizing quarterly regional meetings. The VISTA Leader will also provide bi-monthly trainings to Reading Partners VISTAs.
Recruitment & Admissions - Lead on VISTA recruiting and admissions processes and strategies, including development of collateral, resources, and other tools.
- Alongside the Reading Partners AmeriCorps team, the VISTA Leader will lead on recruiting and admitting VISTAs for the upcoming program cycle. By becoming familiar with existing AmeriCorps recruiting and admissions processes, the VISTA Leader will align VISTA strategies, resources, and content within the organization to ensure effective recruitment in FY20.
Systems Development & Data Management - Improve systems for tracking and measuring VISTA data; support creation and template development to aid in overall VISTA project implementation and support.
- Streamlining and improving available systems is a huge responsibility for the VISTA Leader. By becoming familiar with the VISTA grant and each VISTA position at Reading Partners, the VISTA Leader will identify areas for improvement, implement best practices for collecting project information, and document data for the biannual progress report.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a full term term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic schedule
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Can quickly learn new technology systems like Salesforce, and have a high level of comfort with Microsoft Office and Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
- Have not completed more than three (3) prior AmeriCorps or VISTA service terms
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, VISTA, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
What we offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual compensation of $26,448 through a living stipend from the VISTA program.
- The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles.
- AmeriCorps/VISTA members are eligible for medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify.
- AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $6,095 after successfully completing their service term.
- You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms: VISTA members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) for a 12-month, 365-day term. This VISTA member would serve from August, 2019 through August, 2020.
- Travel: VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Orientation: Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual VISTA Service Orientation in addition to attending Reading Partners trainings. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training as well.
- Where we serve: This position will serve as a VISTA Leader in Oakland, CA
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.