Reports to: Pre-Construction Team Leader
LeJeune Steel Company, an industry leading structural steel fabricator, employs an innovative team approach to successfully execute a wide array of projects in three fabrication facilities. The Estimators are the “engine” of the Pre-Construction Team in that they are responsible to process large amounts of data and turn that data into a proposal for our customers. Estimators are the primary individuals responsible for understanding the scope of a project. They quantify the amount of materials and shop labor required to deliver a project while looking for opportunities to gain efficiencies. They must have a general understanding of the risks, opportunities, and how much margin should be applied to each individual project.
Customer interaction is important during the proposal process and during scope reviews. Providing an exceptional client experience is required of all LeJeune Steel employees. The estimator may need to contact the customer to clarify scope or resolve questions when preparing the proposal. As the individual at LeJeune Steel who knows the most about a project prior to award, he/she may need to participate in scope reviews with the sales lead.
Estimators also interact regularly with suppliers and subcontractors as they collect, review, and verify suppliers’ and subcontractors’ proposals to develop a complete project scope. Coordination with steel erectors is a common occurrence as many projects require a significant amount of coordination regarding schedule, site logistics, or shop assemblies. This interaction is typically done via phone or email however when appropriate face to face meetings may be required.
Estimators interact with other departments at LeJeune Steel on a regular basis as a resource when preparing proposals. After award of a project to LeJeune, a critical interaction occurs when the Estimator leads an internal Kick-Off Meeting, to coordinate the hand off of the project from the Pre-Construction Team to the Project Management Team. During this meeting, the Estimator must clearly communicate the pertinent details of the project, including but not limited to the project team, project schedule, fabrication plan/details, and project opportunities/risks. The estimator will continue to be involved throughout the life of the project by assisting the Project Manager with estimating costs for design changes.
In summary, the Pre-Construction Team Estimator is a unique and vital part of the success of LeJeune Steel. Estimators enjoy one of the few roles within the company with an opportunity for interaction with our customers, suppliers/subcontractors, and almost every department within LeJeune Steel, critically influencing the success of the company.
- Professional – give full effort, learn, share, and lead by example
- Accountable – get it done, own the results
- Superior Service – do the right thing, foster relationships, be helpful
- Innovative – think, challenge the status quo, solve problems creatively
- Optimistic – be positive, have courage, failure happens – learn from it
- Nimble – embrace change, make it happen, control our destiny
Partner with Lejeune Steel and join an organization focused on PASSION, dedicated enthusiasm, and care for our work and industry.
- Agile – Create true value quickly and efficiently. Proactively manage challenges and changes with confidence and decision.
- Curious – Constantly ask “Why?”. Challenge the status quo. Understand the customer’s business as well as they do.
- Innovative – Continually look for ways to improve and explore new ideas regardless of their source.
- Passionate – Positive, can-do attitude and a burning desire to be an expert in everything you do.
- Professional – Positively displays themselves and their organization through image and actions.
- Comprehension of construction documents including but not limited to drawings, specifications, scope documents and bid forms
- Strong time management skills, as Estimators are often required to meet strict proposal deadlines
- Ability to review proposals from suppliers and subcontractors confirming scope and coordinating as required
- Strong communication ability via phone, email, and in person with suppliers, subcontractors, customers and co-workers
- Utilize Fabtrol MRP, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Excel to quantify materials and labor required to fabricate and deliver a project
- Preparation of professional proposals for our customers utilizing Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Bluebeam
- Ability to attend scope reviews via phone or in person with customers as needed. May be required to attend alone if others not available.
- Coordinating, planning and leading meetings
- Ability to utilize Pro-core software which is used for drawing and specification management
- Minimum 2-year degree with focus in the construction industry preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft office programs such Excel, Outlook, and Word
All qualified applicants with LeJeune Steel Company will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, or status as a qualified individual with a disability or protected veteran.