For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are seeking to fill the unique role of Senior HVAC Design Associate within our plumbing and mechanical engineering department. This individual will have extensive field knowledge, used to provide creative, practical solutions to complex mechanical systems. The ideal candidate will partner with the project team to define system requirements, create project and installation plans and conduct research to test and analyze plan feasibility. This person has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic, loves a challenge and thrives in a collaborative team environment. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to grow their career with the leading design/build mechanical contractor in the region.
Job Summary: The Senior HVAC Design Associate participates in the development and creation of detailed mechanical engineering drawings for new build HVAC systems or the adaptation of existing systems. This position consults with the project team to determine heating and cooling needs, develop project plans and installation estimates, create installation plans and provide direction during installation.
- Two-year HVAC design or architectural design degree or equivalent in design/drafting experience, with a minimum three years’ experience in mechanical design
- Specific experience with the mechanical design of HVAC and plumbing building systems on complex projects, including drawings, specifications and required standards.
- Familiarity with Autodesk Revit software functionality for Building Information Modeling (BIM); working knowledge is a plus
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to effectively represent the company in an ethical and professional manner and consistent with our values and mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Project Manager and design team, create heating and cooling systems and their controls; prepare engineering design load and calculations, HVAC system layouts, and design documentation for all phases of the project.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, construction plans and schematics, and computer-generated reports; confer with engineers and project managers to produce required system layouts, implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
- Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems; calculates ventilation requirements, recommends design modifications to eliminate system malfunctions and ensure compliance to product specifications.
- Assists Estimators in submitting bids for engineering/commercial construction projects and preparing proposal/contract documents; determine costs for heating and cooling systems and write up detailed budget estimates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to schedule/coordinate projects to meet expressed deadlines
- Ability to read and understand technical documents, symbols, and industrial process and apply this knowledge to drawings.
- Ability to analyze and make decisions.
- Effective communication skills – oral, written, and presentation.
- Effective organization skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a team environment; attend and participate in team/department communication meetings.
- Actively participate in programs and initiatives designed to enhance the overall good of the company, including sister company support as needed.
- Willingness to keep current with continuing education as necessary.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Walking includes moving within a project site, including uneven surface/ground.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment. PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- Reflective Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment