COMPANY SUMMARY: A third generation family-owned business, Shapiro & Duncan has been serving customers in DC, Maryland and Virginia since 1976. The company is known for their award-winning company culture and complex commercial, government and institutional design-build projects that require first-rate performance, work quality and customer service. We specialize in full service mechanical solutions which include engineering, coordination, prefabrication assembly, construction, service and maintenance.
JOB SUMMARY: The Foreman is accountable for the overall supervision of an assigned project in the Metro DC area, including meeting production, project milestones, quality assurance, profitability and safety goals while coaching, training and developing employees assigned on the site. Under the general supervision of the Superintendent, the Foreman will partner with the Project Management Team to coordinate, schedule, organize and ensure timely, cost-effective and safe performance on all job activities (including those of subcontractors), based on an understanding of the Scope of Work (SOW) and other contractual obligations for S&D and our subcontractors (including HVAC Controls/ATC subs). To meet project and company goals, the Foreman will review all contracts (GC/Owner, Subcontractors). To ensure efficiency, the Foreman will use of Pre-Fabrication, coordinated drawings, Short Interval Planning (SIP), and material/equipment Purchase Orders and Estimates with the Superintendent and Project Manager, and other appropriate departments. As the project leader for the field, the Foreman will occasionally use their knowledge and experience to ensure work is performed in a quality fashion, to train/mentor team members (apprentices through Lead Men); and to drive safe and quality performance on project and customer satisfaction.
- Able to work Monday-Friday with occasional evenings and weekends as needed. Must be able to be flexible with work schedule.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in Plumbing and HVAC piping, PLUS 2 years of supervisory experience on construction projects $1,000,000 and over.
- Able to handle and prioritize multiple projects/assignments effectively.
- Interface effectively, ethically and professionally with all levels of staff: internal and external executives/managers, internal and external professionals, owners and their staff, line employees, subcontractors, vendors, etc.
- Communicate effectively in English (aural, verbal, and written). English/Spanish bilingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Able to read and understand plans and specifications.
- Possess basic MS Office skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Able to lift five to fifty pounds (5-50lbs), with or without assistance, frequently.
- Possess valid driver’s license.
- Able to sit, stand, bend, walk, climb, and remain in static positions for duration of shift.
- Able to withstand exposure to heights, tight/confined spaces; work in dusty areas; work in temperature extremes; be exposed to external elements (wind, rain, snow, etc.)
- Able to handle, protect and maintain the confidentiality of information. NOTE: A signed confidentiality agreement is required as part of this position.
- Possess strong desire, willingness and ability to learn new tasks.
- Reviews, interprets and applies contract guidelines, specifications, scope of work, plans, drawings/ blueprints/CAD renderings, production requirements, quality/production goals, project milestones in preparation for Kick-Off and Coordination Meetings.
- Plans, schedules and manages labor, subcontractor, materials, deliveries, etc., in tandem with client and Production Manager/DoFO and PMT, using experience, education, skills, knowledge of tools, standard processes, and production and coordinating software. Analyzes and develops reasonable expectations of labor, materials, costs, etc., to complete projects, including average productivity rates for demolition and installation/quality review of plumbing/HVAC equipment and materials. Using at least 7 years of mechanical/plumbing experience and 2 years of supervisory experience on commercial construction projects over $1,000,000– including basic installation techniques, building code, tools, equipment, practices, safe working techniques, and constructability – anticipates and prevents choke points, delays, production, quality and safety issues. Communicates/coordinates with team members on project performance to prevent/resolve issues. Participates in meetings.
- Report to PMT and Production Manager on project performance, providing feedback to workforce to ensure improvement and that goals are met:
- As a working foreman, must be able to perform direct work. This includes being able to sit, stand, bend, walk, climb, crawl and remain in static positions for duration of shift. This also requires withstanding exposure to heights, tight/confined spaces; work in areas with dust, temperature extremes, and exposure to external elements (wind, rain, etc.)
- Project Administration – Completes all tasks in a timely and accurate manner, according to established processes and guidelines, based upon priorities, including the use of a PC and related software (MS-Office, FieldTime, etc.)
Click here to see a list of our company benefits: https://www.shapiroandduncan.com/careers-benefits/