Childhaven seeks a Family Support Specialist to provide critical support and service coordination for children and families in our Head Start classrooms. Family Support Specialists ally closely with caregivers to understand their strengths, hopes, and needs; advocate for families’ well-being by connecting them to other community services as needed; enlist parent involvement in educational activities; support parents' economic stability; enhance the role of parents as the primary influence on their children's education and development; and more!
This is a full-time position for 11 months out of each year.
Ideal candidates will be excited to work with a multidisciplinary team delivering trauma-informed early learning, early intervention, and infant mental health services to families with high needs. You’ll believe in strength-based collaboration with children and families that improves their lives.
- Associate's degree in Human Services or Health + two years of experience in a human services role
- OR a bachelor's degree in a related field + 1 year of experience in a human services role
- Knowledge of early childhood development, with a demonstrated ability to foster relationships with parents and children
- Knowledge of local and statewide family resources
- Knowledge of social justice and racial equity concerns that affect Washington families, and experience interacting with diverse populations
- Maintain current certifications including Pediatric/Adult CPR, first aid and AED, HIV and blood borne pathogens
- You will submit to, pass Childhaven’s drug screen and background check, and possess a portable background check through the Washington Department of Early Learning
- You have a valid driver’s license, proof of liability insurance and a verifiable safe driving record
- You have a Food and Beverage Handler’s Permit, or can get one within 90 days of hire
Are you a current or former Head Start parent who meets these qualifications? You'll receive preference if you apply!
Childhaven serves families from diverse communities and we are committed to recruiting candidates who reflect this diversity. Multilingual and multicultural candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Every role at Childhaven makes an impact! Family Support Specialist responsibilities include:
- Assist families in identifying their child’s strengths and needs, and develop action plans to ensure they have access to any services for which they are eligible.
- Assist parents in a variety of areas (e.g. filling out forms/surveys, health, nutrition living skills, budgeting, job skills, goal setting, etc.) for the purpose of developing an action plan to remove barriers to child’s success in school and supporting the family in basic life skills and economic stability.
- Recruit and enroll eligible children and families. Encourage family involvement in program.
- Visit children’s homes for the purpose of enrolling students in program, interviewing parents, informing parents of school and/or community resources and providing child development/parenting information, and setting family goals.
- Develop individualized health, nutrition, and family support plans for all enrolled children for the purpose of furthering family goals, plans, and success strategies.
- Provide outreach to low income communities, community leaders and organizations for the purpose of recruiting families to Head Start, developing resources, and building partnerships with community members.
- Maintain relationships with social service agencies and family service providers in the community so that outside referrals can be made in a timely manner as needed.
- Maintains a variety of manual and electronic documents, files and records for the purpose of providing required information and/or documentation.
We strive to make Childhaven a great place to work by living our values: Teamwork, Equity, Excellence, Dedication, and Respect. Here’s a little bit about what we offer our staff:
- We believe in fully transparent hiring practices. The pay rate for Family Support Specialists is $20/hr.
- We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental and vision insurance. Expanded benefits include a flexible spending account, education reimbursement and a 403(b) savings program with employer contributions. A full listing of benefits is available.
- No matter what your role is, you'll get opportunities to attend a wide variety of trainings on clinical and education topics, advocacy, management skills, and more. We also work hard to make sure that you have a mentor—a person who's helping you grow professionally.
- We’re dedicated to serving the full range of cultural diversity in our community, and to providing families with care that’s relevant to them and their values. As a member of Childhaven staff, you’ll be encouraged to contribute to community engagement strategies and to serve on our Racial Equity Team, which makes ongoing recommendations to ensure that our programs and protocols are doing their part to dismantle systemic racism.
Want to join our team? Submit a resume and a cover letter!