COMPANY SUMMARY: A third generation family-owned business, Shapiro & Duncan has been serving customers in DC, Maryland and Virginia since 1976. The company is known for their award-winning company culture and complex commercial, government and institutional design-build projects that require first-rate performance, work quality and customer service. We specialize in full service mechanical solutions which include engineering, coordination, prefabrication assembly, construction, service and maintenance.
JOB SUMMARY: The HVAC Service Technician role is to provide technical support for other service technicians, as well as providing services required by the customer and managing staff to accomplish tasks. This position requires a mixture of service, and sales. .
- Able to work Monday-Friday with occasional overtime during afternoons, evenings and weekends as needed. Hours may involve start times as early as 5:00 a.m. NOTE: Specific project requirements that may require afternoon or evening/night shifts.
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on experience in the HVAC trade as commercial service technician.
- High school diploma/GED (experience may be substituted for education)
- Completion of an HVAC Apprenticeship Program and appropriate state licensure (current Journeyman or Master’s License)
- Advanced HVAC Training and Manufacturer’s Training
- Know and understand all facets of the techniques used for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning service and installation.
- Competent at diagnosing refrigeration systems, air distribution systems and equipment controls.
- Computer literate (Windows and Microsoft Office), and able to quickly adapt to new and different HVAC interface software.
- Professional demeanor, including ability to interface effectively with other technician, vendors, and clients.
- Interface effectively, ethically and professionally with all levels of staff: internal and external executives/managers, internal and external professionals, owners and their staff, line employees, subcontractors, vendors, etc.
- Communicate effectively in English (aural, verbal, and written).
- Possess current, valid driver’s license (not under suspension or limitation).
- Must be able to grip tools.
- Must be able to stand, walk, bend, crawl, twist, bend, push, pull, carry, climb (stairs & ladders), etc.
- Able to withstand temperature extremes and exposure to elements (rain, snow, etc).
- Able to withstand exposure to dust, fumes, heights, confined spaces.
- Possess skills related to balance, agility, eye-hand coordination, flexibility, depth perception, peripheral vision, and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to differentiate between colors.
- Able to hear.
- Able to problem solve and analyze situations.
- Listen the customer’s concerns and evaluate possible solutions based on their needs.
- Diagnose and repair problems accurately and timely.
- Explain to the customer any deficiencies and suggested repairs.
- Price-out repairs of $2,000 or less OR repairs that requires less than a day’s labor.
- Price repairs at the service location before leaving (done from company vehicle and not in the presence of the customer).
- Perform service, repairs and maintenance in a timely manner.
- Make efficient use of materials, parts, supplies and company tools.
- Complete service tickets and fax to the office on a daily basis.
- Maintain the other required paperwork (daily job tickets or daily reports, time sheets etc.)
- Provide technical assistance to our Technicians and Apprentices in a positive manner, including providing training and development.
- Maintain the minimum suggested personal tools list.
- Maintain all company provided tools.
- Maintain work vehicle in neat, clean manner consistent with standards (oil changes, and other required services).
- Make recommendations for ways to improve the department.
- Maintains proactive approach to provide and implement recommendations for continuous improvements.
- Solicit and review feedback from customers.
- Recognize employees for strong performance, and coach when performance does not meet departmental/company standards.
- Assist in evaluating the service department’s work load and manage workforce to expedite field production and maximize efficiency.
- Perform other tasks and duties as directed by management.
Click here to see a list of our company benefits: https://www.shapiroandduncan.com/careers-benefits/