For more than 100 years, the Jamar Company has built a reputation as an expert specialty contractor. We have a history of proven success in solving difficult challenges for our commercial and industrial customers. We’re headquartered in Duluth, MN with offices in the twin cities metro area, Green Bay and Spooner, WI, Bismarck and Watford City, ND and Mountain View, WY. The Jamar Company also includes ASDCO Construction Supply, Arrowhead Refrigeration and Industrial Contractors, Inc.
We are looking for a team-oriented, detailed and collaborative Estimator to fill a position with our plumbing and mechanical construction department. This individual will develop cost-focused solutions to help our customers by aligning budgets with project requirements and creating cost savings that will positively impact the business. The ideal candidate is looking to work with the leading mechanical contractor in the region, building relationships, interacting with customers and providing RFP information to help develop and grow our client base. This person has initiative, self-discipline and a strong work ethic – and this role provides an exciting opportunity for someone interested in growing their career with Jamar.
Job Summary: Responsible for the design and estimation of services in the Commercial department. This position will translate customer drawings and specifications to create internal job documentation including models, drawings, bill of materials, ERP system, and process instructions. This position will communicate directly with the customer and/or staff to facilitate timely completion of projects. This position will be required to prepare conceptual budgetary project cost, as well as detailed construction cost estimates by analyzing plans and specifications. This role requires accuracy and attention to detail.
- A.A.S. Degree in Mechanical/Civil Drafting or equivalent field of study.
- Working Knowledge of BIM, AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office Suite, Blue Beam, Trimble AutoBid and Revit.
- Minimum one year of professional experience in estimation/computer estimating.
- Ability to work fulltime in the Duluth, MN office.
- Excellent organization and time management experience; able to manage multiple projects at one time, meeting and exceeding established deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work with the Department Manager to investigate and make recommendations to review and identify opportunities to create efficiencies, cost savings and customer value enhancements.
- Conceptualize, design and communicate successfully in CAD and Revit, using current industry standards; ensure that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
- Perform a wide range of drafting tasks; responsible for maintaining accurate design and drawing archives and revision history in an organized manner.
- Develop equipment drawings, schedules, submittals, material lists, material ordering and verification and as-built drawings.
- Communicate frequently with project team members including architects, engineers, and project managers.
- Coordinate multiple projects, in various stages of design, to successful completion.
- Provide solutions for customers on service and projects.
- Assist project managers and design engineer team during all project phases.
- Provide complex cost estimates and proposals.
- Evaluate offers to purchase by costing changes, additions and site requirements.
- Prepare paperwork as required (PO’s, submittals, etc.)
- Maintain task list to prioritize workflow.
- Work with field, other trades, and customers collaboratively.
- Accountable for proper pre-planning and coordination with customer and field staff
- Visit construction sites as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to complete detailed written records and reports.
- Ability to prioritize work and complete projects on time.
- Ability to effectively communicate with multiple departments, team members and clients.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily a stationary position for a considerable portion of the day (sitting and/or standing). The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. Must be able to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Travel to project sites, or other APi Group company locations as needed.
- The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in plant environment.
- PPE required when in the plant, yard or construction areas include:
- Hard Hat
- Safety Glasses / Goggles
- Steel-toed Boots
- High Visibility Vest
- Hearing Protection (designated areas)
- Personal Fall Arrest Harness
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Paid Time Off
- Compensation commensurate with experience
For more than 100 years, Jamar has built a reputation as a solid partner delivering solid solutions. And, we don’t just hire anyone. We hire extraordinary people – the kind who:
- Share our values
- Never stop learning
- Care about the community
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Thrive in a team environment