Hawkeye Area Community Action Program, Inc. (HACAP) is a diverse, community-focused nonprofit dedicated to empowering and improving the lives of families living with the everyday barriers of poverty.
What we are proud to offer you:
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Retirement Savings (IPERS and/or 403(b))
- Paid time off and 9 company paid holidays
- Short Term Disability after 1 year of employment
- Basic Life and AD&D coverage
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional benefits: Flexible Spending, Long Term Disability, Voluntary Life and Voluntary Accident
This position is responsible for building and maintaining a partnership with veterans and families that experience homelessness. The position works with homeless veterans and other homeless households using a housing first approach to services. The case manager works with each household to develop housing stabilization plans to identify a plan to remain stability housed with financial and community supports. The case manager may maintain a caseload of veterans and non-veterans depending on community need. This position will work with other team members in the Support Services for Veterans Families (SSVF) program and HACAP’s other homeless services programs.
WAGE AND SCHEDULE
Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 PM; $18.39
- Responsibilities and tasks include a wide range of community networking activities to assist homeless households, including veterans, who are at risk of losing their housing and/or who are homeless and in need of securing traditional, permanent housing.
- Maintains precise and accurate documentation of case management services, including housing stabilization plans, community referrals, and community networking activities in the correct database.
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the Housing Program Manuals (SSVF and HACAP policies and procedures).
- Work with supervisor and compliance staff on turning in all required case management and housing stabilization documentation.
- Assists veterans and other homeless households with completing applications for benefits, employment, social security, and other mainstream resources.
- Assists veterans in enrolling in other VA services they may be eligible for.
- Advocates for needed services and assist landlords in helping clients meet the obligations of the tenancy.
- Establishes and maintains a collaborative working relationship with community resources; attends and participates in an appropriate coalition and other community resource meetings.
- Provides case management services to an assigned caseload of veterans and non-veterans.
- Conduct meetings at a time convenient for participants. This will include both daytime and evening weekday hours.
- Attend case conferencing and all other meetings required by management.
- Support the organizations and the programs mission, vision, values, policy, and procedures by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, personalization, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Consistently work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow Team Members
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to respond to changing situations in a flexible manner in order to meet current needs, such as reprioritizing work as necessary
- Consistently come to work on time, working as scheduled, and leaving at the scheduled time
- Maintain appropriate attire and good grooming habits to support HACAP’s desire for safe and efficient operations, providing greater service and better customer relations.
- Ensure confidentiality of any information concerning an employee, client, family, financial condition or personal peculiarities is strictly maintained
- Ensure that personal health information is protected during its collection, use, disclosure, storage and destruction within HACAP as required by HIPAA.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field and two years of experience
- 7 years of work experience in the homeless services field
- Working knowledge of community resources as they relate to homelessness, veterans, and affordable housing
- Knowledge of veteran homeless services and VA services
- Service in the military preferred
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- SOAR Training (preferred not required)
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and work at a computer for long periods of time in an office environment and must be able to lift/move weight up to 25lbs. The employee is also required to accept incoming calls and must be able to hear and speak. Must have visual acuity to read and draft reports, memos, letters, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision adequate for the incumbent to perform the responsibilities and functions of the job efficiently. Must have the manual dexterity to manually operate and use a computer. Incumbent must be able to drive in all weather and road conditions. The noise level is quiet to moderate; no-smoking environment.
The employee will work in an office and public, service-delivery environment. Hectic situations can occur in the public area of the facility characteristic of working with the homeless community and the related concerns and situations related to homeless conditions. Potential exists for volatile and unpredictable situations to occur. May experience exposure to strong odors such as soiled clothes and poor hygiene.
The qualifications, physical demands, and work environment described herein are representative of those an employee will encounter and must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid car insurance
- Reliable transportation for use on the job