COMPANY SUMMARY: A third generation family-owned business, Shapiro & Duncan has been serving customers in DC, Maryland and Virginia since 1976. The company is known for their award-winning company culture and complex commercial, government and institutional design-build projects that require first-rate performance, work quality and customer service. We specialize in full service mechanical solutions which include engineering, coordination, prefabrication assembly, construction, service and maintenance.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide safe, accurate, timely, high-quality installation of commercial HVAC materials, equipment and systems based on project design documents (including plans and specifications), and using standard industry practices, code, and S&D processes. May train apprentices and summer helpers. This position reports to HVAC Supervisor/Foreman/Superintendent.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in the commercial HVAC trade (PREFERRED: current HVAC journeyman’s license).
- HVAC training and basic manufacturer training, with understanding of techniques used for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning service and installation.
- Competent at installing refrigeration systems, air distribution systems and equipment controls (includes fundamentals of electrical wiring).
- Able to analyze situations/issues and provide solutions.
- High school diploma (experience may be substituted for education).
- Intermediate arithmetic skills up to basic algebra.
- Able to work mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends as needed. Hours may involve start times as early as 5:00 a.m.; may require afternoon/night shifts.
- Communicate effectively in English (aural, verbal, and written).
- Able to effectively manage conflict with clients, co-workers, subordinates.
- Safely operate motor vehicle to travel among sites, with valid driver’s license (not under suspension or limitation) and insurable to operate motor vehicle.
- Must be able to stand, crouch, walk, bend, crawl, twist, bend, push, pull, carry, climb (stairs & ladders), and be able to grip tools (fine motor coordination).
- Must be able to lift up to seventy-five (75) pounds, with or without assistance.
- Able to withstand temperature extremes and exposure to elements (rain, snow, etc).
- Able to withstand exposure to dust, fumes, heights, confined spaces.
- Possess skills related to balance, agility, color differentiation, hearing, eye-hand coordination, flexibility, depth perception, peripheral vision, and manual dexterity.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mechanical Systems: Strong working knowledge of installation of refrigerant piping, equipment startup. Working knowledge of HVAC controls and electrical wiring. Read and understand plans and specifications, including coordinated drawings.
- Application of Arithmetic & Algebraic Principles: Add, subtract, multiply and divide wholes numbers/fractions/decimals with/without a calculator. Proper use of a standard ruler, metric ruler, and a measuring tape to measure. Solves algebraic equations to determine voltage, amperage, resistance, power.
- Installation of Mechanical Systems to Maximize Efficiency: Install and start-up equipment, meet deadlines, and perform basic troubleshooting. Complete start-up checklists, pre-functional checklist, system readiness checklist, etc. Create and daily job reports each day. When a foreman, enter crew time in Field Man.
- Process Compliance & Production: Create material list from drawings. Make decisions to effectively complete job on-time, according to specifications/plans/code, and in a LEAN manner. Ensure deliveries, materials, tools, equipment are available and properly staged to ensure maximum efficiency according to LEAN practices. Monitor progress of subcontractors, temporary labor, crew to ensure work is done in a timely, productive, accurate and safe manor according to policy, procedures, code, standard work techniques.
Click here to see a list of our company benefits: https://www.shapiroandduncan.com/careers-benefits/